Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Do you think the reason you wanted to become a doctor was a good one?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

Hi everyone,

I am a PhD student in Molecular Biology hoping to apply to medicine in 2017. I have been wondering a lot about what a good reason is for wanting to become a doctor. What were your reasons for wanting to become one? And now that you are a doctor, do you think your reasons for wanting to become one the 'right' reasons?

Oh dear... this question being asked on the day that the new JD contract was published in full...
    I will try to remember why I chose this as a career and post a reply when I've calmed down a bit tomorrow !!

It makes me feel so sad and scared that doctors and the NHS are going through this nightmare! working for the NHS right now is not for the faint hearted but the patients need you now more than ever. I know this because my partner is currently in the process of being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. The future looks bleak and scary- especially when you see everywhere that the NHS may be no more and the doctors so angry, stressed and tired.
    I am definitely on your side and whatever reason it was for wanting to become a doctor, thank you for being one.

The first thing I will say is that lots of applicants are intimidated by the perception that you should be guided by one great "reason" for wanting to be a doctor. This clearly isn't true for the vast majority of applicants and I would start out by thinking in terms of reasons rather than a single moment when you were called to the profession.... When I applied, the main reasons were that I enjoyed:

1. learning - and every day is a school day in medicine...
    2. lots of intellectual disciplines - and medicine is the ultimate cross-disciplinary course/profession with some biochemistry, anatomy, physiology, pathology, law, ethics, statistics, sociology, and psychology (I've since learned that it's steeped in politics as well).
    3. working hard - but would prefer to invest that effort in a valuable enterprise rather than feeling as if I am working to increase someone else's profit [this is a genuine motivation but clearly struck a cord with one of my two interviewers who started nodding vigorously when this came up].
    4. helping people solve problems that they aren't able to manage themselves - this is 50% "helping others" and 50% "being the expert/hero".

Since then, I would probably add that I enjoy:

5. being a participant at the extremes of human experience (you really do see everything... fear, anger, joy, despair...).
    6. gratitude from patients and colleagues (not necessarily for big things - "thanks for explaining that clearly", "that's such a relief - I was really worried it might be X", etc).
    7. teaching students, colleagues, and patients (lots of patients know very little about how their bodies work and are actually really interested in why disease X causes Y symptoms, and how it is treated with Z).
    8. the flexibility of a career that spans surgery to psychiatry and can include almost any combination of clinics, critically unwell patients, procedures, operating, research, quality improvement, management, teaching, etc. Medicine is the ultimate portfolio career.
    9. and latterly the fact that UK-trained doctors are welcomed by (almost) every country in the world.

I think those are all good reasons (there are doubtless many more possibilities!) and I haven't once mentioned money (lucky really as there is now much less of it...).

(Original post by mba09nr)
    The future looks bleak and scary- especially when you see everywhere that the NHS may be no more and the doctors so angry, stressed and tired.
    Thanks for this post. It has certainly been hard to be on the receiving end of attacks from journalists and politicians that are so far removed from the realities of delivering healthcare in the UK. The service is also suffering and the doctor role is much less rewarding when so much time is spent apologising for system :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin: ups, delays, miscommunications, cancelled procedures, etc. I hope your sister gets all the care that she needs.

originally, in year 9 was the first time I heard about the Palestinian crisis. I couldn't do anything to help, the only want I could help was to become a doctor XD

although, I am probably not gonna go to Palestine after I become a doctor bc it's too dangerous, it was my initial motivation. Also, I really look forward to night shifts.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.