The Student Room Group

Mixed race relationships how did your family react?

Scroll to see replies

I'm black and my parents have generally been fine with my white boyfriend. I think my dad would have preferred me to be with a Nigerian man, but oh well, he's happy enough as long as I'm being treated well :smile:
There is no real issue about interracial in the first world and although i don't encourage it, i wont discourage it. Ignore your parents and do whatever you want.

We all at some point take fancy to people who have a different skin colour.
Both my parent's family (White English and Japanese) were actually supportive of my parent's marriage.
In Japan most families are okay with their children marrying/dating non-japanese people (generally cause they want cute mixed raced babies! 😉)
English families... It depends. My friend is Anglo-Turkish and her English family pretty much disowned her English mother from what I heard. So it depends I think.
they didnt... my fam still dont know, and probably wont know untill im certain about our relationship

though out in public, old ladies and family's give me a weird disappointed look because seeing a brown girl with a white guy is basically like blasphemic to them :rolleyes: :rofl:
My family never said or did anything that seemed to indicate any difference whatsoever... Just the same as with any girlfriend I've ever had. However, some stupid people in uni turned out to be racist and started calling me "yellow fever" behind my back, and apparently thought I'm creepy for dating an Asian.. that's quite hurtful but would never influence me (if anything it shows me that those people are not worth my time it thoughts).
Original post by Anonymous
My family never said or did anything that seemed to indicate any difference whatsoever... Just the same as with any girlfriend I've ever had. However, some stupid people in uni turned out to be racist and started calling me "yellow fever" behind my back, and apparently thought I'm creepy for dating an Asian.. that's quite hurtful but would never influence me (if anything it shows me that those people are not worth my time it thoughts).

Yellow fever?

O.o Wut?
Put it this way, if my mother found out I was in one, I wouldn't have the capacity to tell you how she reacted to it.
Reply 27
Original post by CleverSquirrel
they didnt... my fam still dont know, and probably wont know untill im certain about our relationship

though out in public, old ladies and family's give me a weird disappointed look because seeing a brown girl with a white guy is basically like blasphemic to them :rolleyes: :rofl:
Loooooool

also wtf, pretty sad that people give you a weird look in 2017 SMH.
Original post by eden3
Loooooool

also wtf, pretty sad that people give you a weird look in 2017 SMH.

TRY telling them that :rolleyes:
I’m white, first boyfriend was Middle Eastern, no one batted an eye - not even my UKIP-voting grandparents.
Original post by RivalPlayer
I think (in London at least) non-English parents are more likely to frown upon mixed race relationships.
White English parents seem less bothered imo.

Ironically and pathetically true but not much of a bother since most nonwhite people who date out of their race seem to want white people, not south or east Asians or arab. I look at interracial couples on YouTube and the popular ones are nonwhite with white or with half white :h:
Original post by awkwardshortguy
Put it this way, if my mother found out I was in one, I wouldn't have the capacity to tell you how she reacted to it.

She should be thankful you bring a girl home at all
Reply 32
My parents could not have given less of a toss to be honest.
Original post by Salt Queen
She should be thankful you bring a girl home at all

Gee, thanks.
Gee, thanks.

I'm being serious. It wasn't an insult, not this time. :s 😄😜
Original post by Salt Queen
I'm being serious. It wasn't an insult, not this time. :s 😄😜

Tbf I don't disagree with what you said. Well, not with the sentiment of it. I don't actually ring anyone back home, I read the thread title wrongly.
Tbf I don't disagree with what you said. Well, not with the sentiment of it. I don't actually ring anyone back home, I read the thread title wrongly.

I see.
Original post by Indieboohoo1
Mixed race relationships like white girl/guy black girl/guy Asian girl/guy etc how did your relationship work and how did your family treat your partner of a different race? You can answer if your parents are different races too. :smile: How did people on the street act etc.

I'm Asian (Chinese) and in my personal opinion, it is quite normal for my race to date out of race.
I guess if your parents want you to be happy then there shouldn't be any problems. However the only concern though is the language barrier for the parents to communicate with the person. :dontknow:
Yeah, I agree. You see it a lot with east Asian and Indian girls, particularly Chinese and Vietnamese girls in London. Whenever they date outside their own race, they invariably seem to end up with white males. The cultural differences / can't speak Cantonese, Vietnamese etc excuses go out the window when it comes to white males. East Asian parents are happy to look the other way if their daughter's dating a white European.

I know, it's bull crap :lol: are you Asian? Asian women seem to have accepted this niche found for them, which is being fetishized, and it's really disturbing to watch. But I meant black or black mixed people with white or white mixed people, those couples are always extraordinarily popular and supported more than non-Asian with Asian 😊
Yeah...well the reason why the mixed race (white mixed with non-white) individual is so popular is because they are the idealised model of modern diversity: aesthetically not too dark and equipped with European features, The "coffee" coloured person is the ideal coveted by diversity-obsessed liberal whites. That's why such people are all over the television these days, particularly on adverts and middle-class dramas.

Don't be a hater, I'm not talking about tv, celebrities, politics or media. I'm talking about socially. Who people seem to care about when the couple enters the room or walks by or their babies. No one cares about Asian girl with white guy because everyone knows it's mutual fetishism and white supremacist propaganda and the kids don't really look exotic compared to black mixed, societally speaking. 😊 just ask anyone on r/hapas!! Its a reddit for white mixed Asians who say their parents are white supremacists.

And you forgot about fully black women with white. Do you know Jamie and Nikki? :rolleyes: fully black women with white men is always epic and not just by my standards. You didn't answer if youre Asian which means you probably are. So I bid you farewell. We were agreeing until now :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending