The Student Room Group

Previous study and new maintenance loan structure

Hi,

I have two years of previous first year study and so have used up my gift year...just wondering how things now work with the new maintenance structure coming in 2016-2017? I believe that before if someone had used up their gift year they could only get a maintenance loan and no maintenance grant or tuition fee loan. Does this mean I could still get a maintenance loan with the new arrangements and if so would it be for the maximum amount now that maintenance grants are no more?

Many thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by ironandbeer2
Hi,

I have two years of previous first year study and so have used up my gift year...just wondering how things now work with the new maintenance structure coming in 2016-2017? I believe that before if someone had used up their gift year they could only get a maintenance loan and no maintenance grant or tuition fee loan. Does this mean I could still get a maintenance loan with the new arrangements and if so would it be for the maximum amount now that maintenance grants are no more?

Many thanks.

I think the basic rules remain the same. No Tuition Fee Loan for the first year and only a minimum Maintenance Loan. Worth double-checking direct with SF though.
Original post by Klix88
I think the basic rules remain the same. No Tuition Fee Loan for the first year and only a minimum Maintenance Loan. Worth double-checking direct with SF though.

Thanks v much for the speedy response, Klix, much appreciated.

Ah it seems my thinking was too good to be true. I was considering starting a HNC course where the tuition fees would be approx £4000 and using some of the maintenance loan to pay the tuition fees. But as it'd only be the minimum maintenance loan....

I will check with SF though anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending