The Student Room Group

im worried about the number of gcses im doing

my school is only allowing me to do 8 gcses and people from other schools are doing like 10-12 gcses and im wondering if having less gcses will afect my uni application

(im doing triple science, english lit + lang, r.e. maths, and history)
Original post by Against_Systems
my school is only allowing me to do 8 gcses and people from other schools are doing like 10-12 gcses and im wondering if having less gcses will afect my uni application

Universities don't really look at the number of GCSEs you've taken, I think as long as you've passed English and Maths.
It's not quantity, it's quality! Don't worry about that, just do your best in them!

really you are at an advantage as it gives you more time to revise for more, therefore theoretically increasing your chance of better grades :smile:
depends what you want to do at A level though
for example if you wanted to do Geography i'm not sure certain places would allow you to pursue it because you hadn't studied it at gcse level
My school only offers 8 at most too ://
I'm taking English Lang, English Lit, French, German, Mathematics, Double Science Award (counts as 2) and PE, all as IGCSE's. I know that half of my grade are only taking about 6 and I even know someone who is taking 2! This is mainly because I'm in an International school so naturally they don't regard IGCSE's as important :///
The number of GCSEs that you do don't really matter. As long as you have 5 A*-C grades including English and Maths then it's all good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm doing 11 GCSEs and I am struggling with revising every single one, doing 8 will allow you to have much more time for each one, giving you a higher potential for high grades in each of them. They will only look further into your GCSEs than just to see if you have 5 A*-C grades, if you may go to the highest unis like Oxbridge or highly competitive degrees at high universities like medicine. Hope this helps!

It really doesn't matter our school only allows: English language, English literature, Maths, Science core, Science additional, RE, Business, Computer science and History overall this is only 9 GCSE's that I can get and top set maths can get statistics which is 10 GCSE's

Quick Reply