The Student Room Group

Chemical engineering info needed!!

Just want to know from anyone that does Chemical Engineering in uni:
- does the difficulty get a LOT higher from eg maths and chemistry A level?
-are the job prospects and salaries good?
-would you recommend going for the masters course as opposed to the bachelors?
-and just your thoughts on the course, whether it's interesting etc!
Thanks!!
Original post by Carokelly123
Thanks!!

Well im not doing chem eng yet but yes obviously the difficulty in maths physics and chemistry gets much harder than A-level. Job prospects and salaries are great, the different career possibilities are endless as a chem eng grad.
If your planning on going into engineering after uni than I believe a masters is pretty essential in order to become chartered.
Reply 2
Original post by Daniel9998

If your planning on going into engineering after uni than I believe a masters is pretty essential in order to become chartered.

BEng + MSc is also a common option. But MEng is easier fundingwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carokelly123
Thanks!!

If you are a home student, then it may be better to study for an MEng. The cost of the extra Masters year will be the same as your previous three bachelor years. Besides, you will still get funding from the Government.

On the other hand, an MSc will incur more costs. I think the average tuition fee cost of an MSc in Chemical Engineering is £15,000. For higher-ranked universities, i.e. Cambridge, Imperial, Manchester and UCL, the cost may go up to £19,000 or about £25,000 at Cambridge. This is without living costs. You will also have to get a loan for this programme. Finally, the competition for MSc places is a lot higher because international students compete with you for places. I doubt there is competition for MEng.

I suggest that you stick with an MEng in Chemical Engineering. If you want to do an MSc afterwards, then you can do so. If you don’t, then you won’t lose out in anyway. Besides, you need a Master’s year to become a Chartered Engineer, if you choose to remain in the Engineering industry. The only catch with an MEng is that certain universities require you to be on track for a First to be considered for the Master’s year. Other universities don’t require that condition.

Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest