Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

English literature help

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

I am really really scared, my exams are coming up soon. And I don't even know how to answer the question. I don't know how to write the introduction, the body, the conclusion. I really need help, and If anyone can help, it'll be greatly appreciated. I'm doing the cie igcse english literature.
    My teachers are bad, and I live in the middle east so getting help is hard

Thanks in advance

Go online and check out your exam board website and find past papers so you can get an idea of how the questions are set out. I'm at school in England and our teachers have drummed into us a paragraph structure since year 7 called PQE. P is point, so just write a sentence summarising the meaning of what you are about to talk about, Q is for quote, so choose a suitable quote to back up you point. E is for explanation and this is your biggest and most important section where your analyse the quotation and could also use other quotations and talk about everything that's relevant, but don't waffle or repeat previous ideas. Don't worry too much about an introduction - examiners care a lot more about the content, but a conclusion could be a good idea if you have time, though double check this as it could vary betweens exam boards. Another mistake students often make when writing essays in not pointing out the easy stuff and just focussing on the hard stuff even though it is worth marks - so treat the examiner like they know nothing at all about the subject. Another thing worth looking at on the exam website is examiner reports which tell exactly what the examiner was looking for when they marked students exams. As for revision, make sure you really understand the texts you are studying - research into the context, create mindmaps the characters and summaries of each section of the text. Once you are confident, try past papers - these will practically be lifesavers. In the actual essay, talk about different interpetations through the language and structure and refer to the context. I'm not that knowledgeable as I'm a whole year away from my actual exam and am doing GCSE's, but I hope I helped. Good luck

I did the CIE iGCSE English Literature exam in year 10 last year

We were told to structure the first paper (the two texts you study in class) in the format:

Concise Answer (basically a short introduction which answers the question in one sentence overall)

Point 1

Point 2

Point 3

Conclude (including your opinions in this)

For the second paper, there's the unseen poetry & then the question from the poems you study in class.
    We were told to answer the unseen poetry question with the structure:

Concise Answer

Continuous Writing (no structure, just continuously writing, with paragraph breaks of course, since this task is short)

For the poetry you do in class:

Analyse first poem

Linking point (saying how they link)

Analyse second poem

I did pretty well in the exam & my teacher is an examiner for them so it's good advice
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: March 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Study tools

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.