Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Quick question for Psychology AS level on Memory

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Research studies of the working memory model may use case studies of patients with brain damage. Explain ethical considerations when conducting such research [4marks]

And, is memorising answers using semantic or episodic memory?

Semantic. Use this diagram attached to help you. (iTeachPsych.tumblr.com is a good website for Psychology revision too)

Where did you find that question?

It's asking you what ethical issues are involved with researching people who are brain damaged. I'm not sure what you've been taught about that - I've not taught my students about that.
    There could be distress involved for the patient or deception? Safeguarding for the individual as they will be considered a vulnerable person?

Off the top of my head, a possible ethical issue is informed consent to the participation in the research. Depending on the memory problems the participants have, even if they sign the consent form if they forget the details immediately or shortly afterwards, can that be considered informed consent? Same goes for the right to withdraw from research, if they forget it happened, can they be said to have the right to withdraw their data? How would you ensure they had all the same rights and ethical considerations every other research participant has?

More generally with case studies, you have to make sure the participant's information is anonymous but the level of detail in case studies makes that difficult. I'd say this might be even more difficult in a brain damaged sample because normally papers in this area will explain how the brain damage occurred, which might make the participant recognisable.

I don't know if this is strictly an ethical issue in the sense they're looking for, but the application of case study data to a larger population isn't the best idea generally. Maybe more so in the case of brain damage because honestly, we don't know enough about brains to make those kinds of leaps. Sometimes damage to different areas has the same behavioural results/ damage to a seemingly similar area shows different behavioural results. You'd have to be careful about how you would report any findings to make sure you weren't making claims you shouldn't be (that's an ethics issue, right?)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.