The Student Room Group

Momentum questions

IMG_0703.jpg

Could I please have some help with 8bii? I'm really confused as to why the normal reaction force doesn't just equal the weight of the skateboarder in this example :frown:

thank you for any help
Reply 1
Original post by ihateocr12345
IMG_0703.jpg

Could I please have some help with 8bii? I'm really confused as to why the normal reaction force doesn't just equal the weight of the skateboarder in this example :frown:

thank you for any help

You have previously calculated the centripetal force - the resultant force acting perpendicular to the ramp. So you can equate the centripetal force from bi) to the resultant force acting on the skateboarder: the contact force minus the weight.
Original post by tory88
You have previously calculated the centripetal force - the resultant force acting perpendicular to the ramp. So you can equate the centripetal force from bi) to the resultant force acting on the skateboarder: the contact force minus the weight.

I completely forgot about centripetal force and how it's the resultant force acting on an object, describing a circular path :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: Thanks a lot tory!

Quick Reply

Latest