Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Moving Sixth form

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

So basically I started sixth form in September 2015. I moved to a sixth form because I wanted to do A levels and because my school didn't have a sixth form. It started all right as I made some new friends and had like two old friends join me at the sixth form. However I have slowly to really dislike the sixth form for many reasons . Firstly of my old friends got into some trouble with a student in the sixth form that attended the sixth forms secondary school. So everyone turned against him . And becuz I talk to him and some other friends do, people that attended the sixth forms secondary didn't like that . And now u can feel this tension and it just doesn't feel good because it's not that they don't like me it's how they are treating my old friend that attended the same secondary school. Secondly the teaching standard at the sixth form is not very good. We do have some good teachers but the majority ate t very good. I do economics and my economics teacher hasn't been in for a month and I have only got a few weeks until the exam. I'm more or less destined to fail economics because of this and the sixth forms inability to sort the situation out.I am not doing bad at all educationally as I get Cs in a mocks only one or two Ds. However I don't think the sixth form and the teachers have given me the confidence to do well and I think I'm not realistically guaranteed at least a C in my 4 subjects. So I'm not sure whether to leave at the end of yr 12 to a sixth form that opened recently. It has very good facilities and some of my Friends have told me it's good. However there are problems as I moved house and now it's my responsibility of taking and bringing my sister and brother to skl which is very annoying!!! And because I have Asian parents (annoying dad that doesn't really understand the uk education. System) I can't Say anything. My dad has these stupid expectations that I will become a doctor or engineer. Don't get me wrong I can last at This sixth form but I don't know if it's Worth the hassle of moving sixth form especially with the whole thing of trying to fix the exam board issue . Plz give me ur thought and opinions on what I should or can do . And there's no point speaking to my parents about it becuz their bit very understanding and don't understand the bigger picture. I mean my dad doesn't know the difference between A level and btec.

A difficult one, but you are getting older now and its your life. I assume you will have authority to move if you wish to and your parents wont say anything? If you dont then you cant move. I would do the following:

1. Talk to existing teacher you trust about grades and see if theres a way to improve where you are:
    2. Go and see the other 6th form. Work out if you will be happier there and if you think its better teaching, thats more important than facilities.
    3. Work out how you will fit in taking your siblings to school.
    4. I am unsure whether you will start the year again or tray and transfer? If its a fresh start (which is what I would do) then you have some xplaining to parents and also what will you do between now and the start of your new year? You would need o talk to the teachers becayse you cnat leave education and training at your age.

If you will be happier and it gives you a better chance then do it, be through but relatively quick.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.