Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

How do I lodge a complaint against a lazy and pretentious lecturer?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I have a unit coordinator who does not teach but demands students to study the materials prior to every lesson. Students are expected to spend a minimum of 10 hours to complete the exercises and revise the textbook and notes. During the lesson, students have to complete a self assessment test and a group practical session and the grades are taken into account. The self assessment test consists of a few multiple choice questions and the unit coordinator would ask his teaching team to embarass those who failed the test. Feedback is minimal. Besides, the unit coordinator and his teaching team would penalise students for minor mistakes like talking, failing to wear name tag, failing to bring declaration form( Yes, students have to declare that they are behaving ethically).

    I am paying $2800 for this module and I don't feel that I have learnt a single thing from the lecturer since he does zero teaching. What is making me fed up are those stupid rules and the fact that I have to do so much self study when I am paying so much tuition fees. It is a very inefficient method of studying. Group practical might be interesting at times but feedback is non existent.

    What should I do? Should i approach the student support association which deals with academic matters?

    Your uni should have a complaints procedure in place for things like this?

    You're an adult so you should be able to manage following simple rules like wearing a name tag and not talking when you shouldn't be. Many workplaces will have small rules you have to follow. I can see why it's frustrating to pay to be taught and not actually receive any tuition.

    Sounds like the student support association would be a good place to start, if they cant help they should be able to point you in the right direction. Though it may be you just have to put up with it and do the best you can.

    Sounds like it could be a cultural thing. Which country are you studying in?

    If you were in the UK, I'd recommend raising this with your Student Union rep. However, independent learning is a major part of university study in the UK, so the learning/testing methods you describe wouldn't be grounds for complaint. In order to complain about things like atitude or setting out to deliberately embarrass students, you would have to produce proof, such as emails. Either that, or a large number of students would have to make and/or support that complaint.

    You should have a course rep who will go to faculty with such problems, however if it's as bad as you're saying I would be surprised if they haven't received this complaint numerous times before.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find
Useful resources


Freshers guidePreparing for universityGuide to Freshers' WeekCity and nightlife guidesAlcohol guide for freshersStaying safe at uniBudgeting and financeStudent foodTravel and getting aroundUniversity study tipsHow to write your dissertation in just four weeksA week in the life of a uni student

Sponsored features:



Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Canterbury Christ Church University logo

Canterbury Christ Church University

Discover more about this community-focused university

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick link:

Unanswered uni life threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.