The Student Room Group

Can you help me please?

Hi there,

I am really hoping that you can help me please. I am looking at working at a university as part of the disability support team and I'd be really interested to hear what difficulties you face right from applying for uni up to graduation if you wouldn't mind sharing please. I am particularly focused on the application for DSA, assessments at the uni and then getting the support you need as that is the area I'd be working in.

Hope no one minds me posting this.
Original post by BoatyMcBoatface
Hi there,

I am really hoping that you can help me please. I am looking at working at a university as part of the disability support team and I'd be really interested to hear what difficulties you face right from applying for uni up to graduation if you wouldn't mind sharing please. I am particularly focused on the application for DSA, assessments at the uni and then getting the support you need as that is the area I'd be working in.

Hope no one minds me posting this.

Hi Boatymcboatface:smile:
Let's see, I have dyslexia and dyspraxia so here's the difficulties i faced at uni,
Applying for uni: writing a personal statement and the decision of when to declare can be a challenging one.
Applying for dsa: wasn't too difficult as i found the form pretty simply except i had to type onto the PDF as they'd struggle to read it if i had had to do it in block capitals. I had to get an ed psych assessment but as i d told uni early they managed to get me one quite quick, i was happy to pay £100 for mine but this can be a difficulty for some students.
Needs assessment: Again as i d told uni early getting one sorted was pretty quick and i had everything put into place by about halloween.
Support itself: Was quite easy to get, i found a laptop and dictaphone along with my software and marking allowance quite helpful. The only difficulty i experienced was lectures tending to forget i had extra time so i always had to remind them.

If you have more specific questions then let me know :smile:
That is amazing, thank you so much for your help :smile:

Is there any way you'd like to see the system improved to make the experience more positive?

In America all support through school is decided on and provided by professionals with little involvement from the student which can make it tricky when it suddenly comes down to them to disclose and seek support at uni level. Would you say that it's the same here?

Thank you again.
Original post by BoatyMcBoatface
That is amazing, thank you so much for your help :smile:

Is there any way you'd like to see the system improved to make the experience more positive?

In America all support through school is decided on and provided by professionals with little involvement from the student which can make it tricky when it suddenly comes down to them to disclose and seek support at uni level. Would you say that it's the same here?

Thank you again.

I think the higher education system is reasonably positive, although my comparision point is a useless high school who had no clue what dyspraxia was half the time so anything was better than that. I dont think its the same here, when it comes to needs assessments especially the second one i had, i felt i led the conversation rather than them saying dictating what was possible. Also when I felt that typing was uncomfortable in one exam seeking it for the next exam was a simple as sending an email.
That's so helpful, thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest