Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Serious advice needed. (International Student)

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hello everyone.

I'm an international student from India and have applied to study Law in UK. I have already got conditional offers from few universities
    However rules of Bar council of my country are different. In order to get eligible to work in my country (when you study law from UK), these rules needs to be full-filled -

"The following conditions are applicable for Universities which are marked with “*” in the list given under United Kingdom.
    (a) Three years’ LLB degree only if taken after a three years’ bachelor degree course in any subject (that is after obtaining BA / BSc /BCom /BBA); or
    (b) Three Years’ LL.B. course followed immediately by 1 year whole time LPC/BVC and followed by a contract of service with a Law Firm for two years to be entitled to be enrolled as a solicitor or take pupilage for a year in a Chamber of a qualified Barrister to be a Master, or
    (c) Four Years’ of LLB jointly with another subject like Finance, Accounts, Management or a Language to be immediately followed by one year full time LPC/BVC from a College of Inns of courts/ Solicitors Society or a Master degree in Law. "

For me, the condition of (b) has to be met if I return back to India. It says that after LLB, I would have to complete my LPC and get a training contract for 2 years. I want to know about following desperately -

1) If I didn't get a training contract, what else I could do? Would I have to return back? I'm willing to work very hard in university.( I would probably attend Nottingham trent or uclan)

2) Who funds your LPC? I heard some firms fund it. I would like to know more about it.

I would love to work abroad though. But still keeping harsh immigration rules in view, I would like to keep myself updated.

Thanks in advance.

1. Yes you have only a student visa. you come to the UK to study. Your chances of getting a TC are slim, because it is very competitive. The employer has to sponsor you and they are already spoiled for choic with candidates from the UK and EEA. It is possible but yu would either need to have made some srong contacts or be exceptional with excellent grades.

2.Some firms will pay for your LPC as well as pay you a grant whilst studying. They tend to be the large commercial firms. It is very competitive to get a TC.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.