The Student Room Group

STEP maths I, II, III 1991 solutions

Scroll to see replies

http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/step/preparing-for-step/ only lists papers going back to 1998 - where can I get some of these older question papers from?

TIA
Original post by zpa43d
http://www.admissionstestingservice.org/for-test-takers/step/preparing-for-step/ only lists papers going back to 1998 - where can I get some of these older question papers from?

TIA

From here.
Reply 222
Has anyone a solution to 1991 STEP 3 Question 14 please
yes...see attached....
Original post by brianeverit
1991 STEP III question 11 \text {1991 STEP III question 11}

see first diagram. Taking moments about axis of cylinder we have aT=2aF \text { see first diagram. Taking moments about axis of cylinder we have }aT=2aF
resolving horizontally Tcosα+Fcosα=Rsinα    T+F=Rtanα \text {resolving horizontally } T \cos \alpha +F \cos \alpha =R \sin \alpha \implies T+F=R \tan \alpha
    F=Rtanα2F    FR=13tanα i.e. μ13tanα as required \implies F=R \tan \alpha-2F \implies \dfrac {F}{R} = \dfrac {1}{3} \tan \alpha \text { i.e. } \mu \geq \dfrac{1}{3} \tan \alpha \text { as required}
 Now with reference to second diagram. If Q is fastened to a particle of mass 3M\text { Now with reference to second diagram. If }Q \text { is fastened to a particle of mass }3M
resolving along and perpendicular to the plane at Q \text {resolving along and perpendicular to the plane at }Q
F=3Mgsinα+Tcos2α and R=3MgcosαTsin2α F'=3Mg \sin \alpha +T \cos 2\alpha \text { and } R'=3Mg \cos \alpha -T \sin 2 \alpha
so FR=3Mgsinα+Tcos2α3MgcosαTsin2α \text {so } \dfrac{F'}{R'}= \dfrac{3Mg \sin \alpha+T \cos 2\alpha}{3Mg \cos \alpha - T \sin 2\alpha}
resolving along and perpendicular to the plane for the cylinder  \text {resolving along and perpendicular to the plane for the cylinder }
F+Tcos2α=Mgsinα and R=Mgcosα+Tsin2α, also T=2F F+T \cos 2\alpha=Mg \sin \alpha \text { and } R=Mg \cos \alpha+T \sin 2\alpha, \text { also } T=2F
so T(1+2cos2α)=2Mgsinα    T=2Mgsinα1+cos2α \text {so }T(1+2 \cos 2\alpha)=2Mg \sin \alpha \implies T= \dfrac{2Mg \sin \alpha}{1+ \cos 2\alpha}
α=tan112    sinα=15,cosα=25,sin2α=45 and cos2α=35 \alpha= \tan^{-1} \dfrac{1}{2} \implies \sin \alpha= \dfrac{1}{\sqrt5}, \cos \alpha= \dfrac{2}{ \sqrt5}, \sin 2 \alpha= \dfrac{4}{5} \text { and } \cos 2 \alpha= \dfrac{3}{5}
so T=2Mg5(1+65=10Mg115 and so FR=35+305556540555=165+3033040=195290=4958 \text {so }T= \dfrac{2Mg}{ \sqrt5(1+\frac{6}{5}}= \dfrac{10Mg}{11 \sqrt5} \text { and so } \dfrac{F'}{R'}= \dfrac {\frac{3}{\sqrt5}+ \frac{30}{55\sqrt5}}{ \frac{6}{ \sqrt5}- \frac{40}{55\sqrt5}}= \dfrac{165+30}{330-40}= \dfrac {195}{290}= \dfrac{49}{58}
so minimum coefficient of friction at Q is 4958 \text {so minimum coefficient of friction at }Q \text { is } \dfrac{49}{58}

195/290=39/58 not 49/58, all that hard work for that one arithmetic slip at the end :wink:
Original post by Omghacklol
195/290=39/58 not 49/58, all that hard work for that one arithmetic slip at the end :wink:

Thanks for pointing it out. I have corrected it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Paper I nos.10,11,12 and 13

Question 10 - I find your leap of intuition for the expression of the vertical components of the tension rather difficult. I offer this as a more simple minded approach (and one, I suspect, the examiners thought might be followed)
Original post by mikelbird
yes...see attached....

you have misread the question.
The reaction on the particle at B is NOT at angle phi to horizontal.
Original post by Rabite
III/6

God, this one took ages to type out.
No one's even gonna read it, but hey...

Could someone else at least try the question to see what the real answer is?

Reading it now:smile: it looks really nice and clean
STEP 1991 Paper II question 13 \text{STEP 1991 Paper II question 13}

For particle we have (1) Ramgsinθ=amxθ¨ \text {For particle we have (1) } R-amg \sin \theta =amx \ddot \theta
 and (2) Famgcosθ=amxθ˙2 \text{ and (2) }F-amg \cos \theta=amx \dot \theta^2
For rod, we have (3) mk2θ¨=Rxdmgsinθ \text{For rod, we have (3) }mk^2 \ddot \theta =-Rx-dmg \sin \theta
From (1) and (3) mk2θ¨+dmgsinθ=ax2θ¨amgxsinθ \text{From (1) and (3) } mk^2 \ddot \theta+dmg \sin \theta=-ax^2 \ddot \theta-amgx \sin \theta
 i.e. m(k2+ax2)θ¨=mgsinθ(ax+d)\text{ i.e. }m(k^2+ax^2) \ddot \theta=-mg \sin \theta(ax+d)
so θ¨=gsinθ(ax+d)k2+ax2    2θ˙θ¨=2gsinθ(ax+d)k2+ax2θ˙ \text{so } \ddot \theta= -\dfrac{g \sin \theta(ax+d)}{k^2+ax^2} \implies 2 \dot \theta \ddot \theta =- \dfrac{2g \sin \theta(ax+d)}{k^2+ax^2 \dot \theta}
Unparseable latex formula:

\implies \dot \theta^2= \dfrac {2g(ax+d)}{k^2+ax^2} \cos \theta}

substituting in (2) gives F=amgcosθ+2amxg(ax+d)k2+ax2cosθ \text {substituting in (2) gives }F=amg \cos \theta+ \dfrac{2amxg(ax+d)}{k^2+ax^2} \cos \theta
=amgcosθ(k2+ax2+2x(ax+d)k2+ax2) and R=amgsinθamxgsinθ(ax+d)k2+ax2 =amg \cos \theta \left( \dfrac{k^2+ax^2+2x(ax+d)}{k^2+ax^2} \right) \text { and } R=amg \sin \theta- \dfrac{amxg \sin \theta(ax+d)}{k^2+ax^2}
=amgsinθ(k2+ax2x(ax+d)k2+ax2)=amgsinθ(k2dxk2+ax2) =amg \sin \theta \left( \dfrac{k^2+ax^2-x(ax+d)}{k^2+ax^2} \right) = amg \sin \theta \left( \dfrac{k^2-dx}{k^2+ax^2}\right)
hence, μ=FR=k2+ax2+2x(ax+d)(k2dx)tanθ    μtanθ=3ax2+k2+2xdk2dx as required \text{hence, } \mu= \dfrac{F}{R}= \dfrac{k^2+ax^2+2x(ax+d)}{(k^2-dx) \tan \theta} \implies \mu \tan \theta= \dfrac{3ax^2+k^2+2xd}{k^2-dx} \text { as required}
Unparseable latex formula:

\text {(i) If }k^2=xd \text { then } \ddot \theta=- \dfrac{g \soin \theta}{x} \text { and particle moves as if it is a simple pendulum of length }x

(ii) If k2<xd then particle willm slide upwards towards O. \text{(ii) If }k^2<xd \text { then particle willm slide upwards towards }O.

Can we use the formula derived for the case k^2>dx for cases (i), (ii)? In my derivation, considering conservation for the ring-rod system and resolving forces in the radial and tangential components for the ring, I didn't make any explicit assumption on the value of k^2. I would really appreciate a clarification. Is there something that I am missing?
Original post by DFranklin
So we suspect that the axes have equations x+y=1, x-y =2. You could probably stop there, but partly to reassure myself, and partly for the hell of it, we can go further

Sorry to be pedantic, but here you've said x+y=1 and I think you meant x+y=0
Original post by Rabite
Well I'll type it up :p:

u2+2usinhx1=0 u^2 + 2u \sinh x - 1 = 0
The quadratic formula involves fractions, and I hate fractions, so let's complete the square:
(u+sinhx)21sinh2x=0 (u+\sinh x)^2 - 1 - \sinh ^2 x=0

u+sinhx=±coshxu+\sinh x= ± \cosh x

u=coshxsinhx u = \cosh x -\sinh x Or (coshx+sinhx) -(\cosh x+\sinh x)

coshx-sinhx is uh...e^{-x} and -(coshx+sinhx) is -e^x.
y`>0 at x=0 so we have to choose the + solution.

dydx=ex \frac{dy}{dx} = e^{-x}
Integrate and find the +C to get
y=1ex y = 1-e^{-x}.

For the next bit, let u = dy/dx for a start:
u2sinhx+2usinhx=0 u^2 \sinh x + 2u - \sinh x =0
u2+2ucosechx1=0 u^2 + 2u cosech x - 1 =0
(u+cosechx)21cosech2x=0 (u+cosech x)^2 - 1 - cosech^2 x =0
u+cosechx=±cothx u+cosech x = ±\coth x
u=cothxcosechx u = \coth x - cosech x Or (cothx+cosechx) -(\coth x + cosech x) .

cothxcosechx=coshx1sinhx \coth x - cosech x = \frac{\cosh x - 1}{\sinh x}
=tanh½x = \tanh{½x} (Consider double "angle" formulae)
But u = dy/dx:
dydx=tanh½x \frac{dy}{dx} = \tanh{½x}
Tanh = sinh / cosh, which is a derivative over its function:
y=2lncosh½x+C y = 2 \ln \cosh ½ x +C

The solution passes through (0,0); so C =0.

(Taking the negative solution when we square rooted earlier results in something that can't pass through (0,0))

[edit] Is there no /cosech in Latex?

Hi there, I'm a bit confused about why it is possible to divide sinhx because sinh(0) = 0 so wouldnt dividing imply that the set of x doesn't pass through 0?
STEP I Q4

Original post by justinsh
STEP I questions 4

Please tell me what you think, I'm not certain of what I did.

I don't think the hint on this question to consider the area he cannot see is the best advice.

So much easier to take the following approach:

Note that there is an L-shaped area that the guard can always see - this has area 80.

In addition, there are two (possibly degenerate) triangles that the guard can see, one with a base from (8,4) to (12,4) and another with a base from (4, 8) to (4, 12). So we need the points at which the sum of the areas of these triangles are at maximum and minimum.

Setting the distance from A as x, some simple trig can tell you that this sum is 4-x + 32/(8-x).
Differentiating and setting to zero we get x = 4(2-sqrt(2)) is the only turning point in the range [0,4]. Taking second derivatives tells you that this is a minimum.

Now since there are no other turning points and this curve is clearly continuous, it must be increasing on either side of this minimum, so maximum would be on one or both of the ends of the interval [0,4]. Easy to see that the max is on both ends.

Hence max view is at x = 0 and x = 4 (where view is a total of 88 units), and min view at x = 4(2-sqrt(2)) where view is a total of 80 + 4(2*sqrt(2) -1) units.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 233
That is very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending