The Student Room Group

First year transfer from medical sciences to medicine?

I've been offered this course by Exeter university, and the course see seems interesting so I'm thinking of accepting it.
However, Exeter have said that up to 8 students after finishing the first year of medical sciences can transfer to medicine after sitting an exam and having an interview as well as achieving either a first or 2:1.
This makes me want to accept but realistically has this happened or is it unlikely?
Has anyone transferred to medicine this way? And would it be more worthwhile to take a gap year, I really don't want to take a gap year so I really want to do this course.

Also, roughly how many students actually are on this course?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by AqsaMx
I've been offered this course by Exeter university, and the course see seems interesting so I'm thinking of accepting it.
However, Exeter have said that up to 8 students after finishing the first year of medical sciences can transfer to medicine after sitting an exam and having an interview as well as achieving either a first or 2:1.
This makes me want to accept but realistically has this happened or is it unlikely?
Has anyone transferred to medicine this way? And would it be more worthwhile to take a gap year, I really don't want to take a gap year so I really want to do this course.

You're not going to find the answer to any of those questions in the A levels forum, so I have moved this to medicine.
Original post by AqsaMx

Get the grades and take a gap year. You stand a much better chance of getting in. Don't aim for GEM or trying to be one of the 8.

Why don't you want to take a gap year? Its a chance to gain some life experience, earn some money, see the world. Or just have a years break from studying.
Reply 4
Original post by AqsaMx

This is the information I recieved from the university of Exeter when I enquired about it and if students actually get onto medicine taking this route
image.jpeg
Original post by AqsaMx

Hi there,

That's a pretty tough decision to make, and looking at the stats in the post above in the image linked, the competition for students who apply to move onto the Medicine course is extremely high. Plus there is no certainty that they'll award 8 places. It appears to be a bit of a gamble.

Taking a gap year in many respects is a great way to boost your application to Medical School, and could really help your chances of getting an offer if you apply again next year.

If you are considering a gap year, first thing you should do is get in contact with the universities that you were unsuccessful at, and find out why they rejected you for Medicine - start with Exeter! Then you could spend your gap year strengthening your application.

The second thing to start considering is serious medical work experience that will look great in your interviews & personal statement, and that you'll enjoy! You might even be able to get paid for some roles, or incorporate some travelling into your experiences!

We met a student here on The Student Room who last year got 4 rejections, and this year got 4 offers. Why not check out her blog on what she did on her Gap Year, and how to succeed.

We hope the above helps,
The Medic Portal

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending