The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Nice.

I'm using c++ mostly for writing ml libraries and python for data.
Islam has brought, historically, very little benefit to the West

Starting with the death of Muhammad, there have been about 1000 years of continuous invasions of Western/Christian countries (first the Middle East, then North Africa, Spain, Southern France and Italy ; then the Balkans) . At the same time, the European coasts were ravaged by Barbary pirates, hundreds of thousands of people were kidnapped from European coasts and sold as slaves.

There were of course reactions against these invasions (Crusades etc), but it was not until the 19th century that Western powers decisively gained the upper hands and (briefly) occupied most Muslim countries.

And now, Islam brings us mainly problems : difficult integration of Muslim minorities, radicalisation and even terror attacks

against this, Islam was able of course to develop a sophisticated culture which included advances in science and transmission of ancient texts, and also - but only in specific times and places- a culture of relative tolerance

let's face it : as a balance, it's nothing to write home about
Original post by HucktheForde
Jquery > javascript

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes literally no sense. Jquery is a library written in js, atheism isn't a subset of religion...
Reply 43
Original post by sfaraj
so when white christians used blacks as slaves, that was fine.... ok mate.

Muslims did the same for a longer time. Racism is moreover terrible in the Gulf countries where immigrants from Asia are treated like slaves.
Bad analogy.
Original post by Josb
Muslims did the same for a longer time. Racism is moreover terrible in the Gulf countries where immigrants from Asia are treated like slaves.
Bad analogy.

Excellent point, but the sun must be coming up now. :tongue: Off to bed, you.
Original post by Josb
Bad analogy.

we;; then they are clearly not muslims are they? the Prophets first prayer caller was black....

and hell i know, places where my aunts live, eveyone has servents but i dont agree with that, just do it yourself, dont be lazyyyyyy
Original post by Maker
What do you think are the benefits of Islam to the West?

More diverse culture.
Original post by sfaraj
lack of people with minds like yours benefits the west. Religion is a personal thing, should be your own where it guides you the right way, nobody is forcing religion down your throat.
Human Rights Act states that it is a human right to believe in a religion or not and change religions if you wish to do so

Unfortunately many muslims do not share your view. There has been thread after thread on here from young muslims wishing to leave the faith but afraid of what their families will do to them if they do.

Original post by Dirty Dawah
+1

Islamic society has much better morals than Western society, but the casual antisemitism, homophobia, sexism and racism detracts from the good points Islam brings.

I would say it's worse than 'casual'. It's more 'ingrained, institutionalised and often backed up with stoning'.
Original post by sfaraj
we;; then they are clearly not muslims are they? the Prophets first prayer caller was black....

and hell i know, places where my aunts live, eveyone has servents but i dont agree with that, just do it yourself, dont be lazyyyyyy
so, poor Bilal had to get up before everyone else, climb the steep stairs to the top of the minaret (at the risk of breaking his neck) and then shout his lungs out so as to wake up those lazy "believers"

more seriously, in the Muslim communities, the role of the muezzin was not one of great particular importance (not one comparable to the imam's in any case). In more recent times, the muezzin's call to prayer was widely replaced by recorded messages : therefore, it is difficult to understand why Muslims always, systematically, mention the single case of Bilal when the issue of racism is raised

if you want to learn a bit more about race relations under the early Caliphate, you could have a look e.g. here https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjn9DA1YPMAhXClg8KHWNUB_EQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FZanj_Rebellion&usg=AFQjCNFpvsBKNWnSiqSomU0ExwicaUQhOQ&sig2=EQ-Z-PuHnLf8j2pGTofhAQ

best
Original post by mariachi
so, poor Bilal had to get up before everyone else, climb the steep stairs to the top of the minaret (at the risk of breaking his neck) and then shout his lungs out so as to wake up those lazy "believers"

more seriously, in the Muslim communities, the role of the muezzin was not one of great particular importance (not one comparable to the imam's in any case). In more recent times, the muezzin's call to prayer was widely replaced by recorded messages : therefore, it is difficult to understand why Muslims always, systematically, mention the single case of Bilal when the issue of racism is raised

if you want to learn a bit more about race relations under the early Caliphate, you could have a look e.g. here https://www.google.be/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjjn9DA1YPMAhXClg8KHWNUB_EQFggcMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FZanj_Rebellion&usg=AFQjCNFpvsBKNWnSiqSomU0ExwicaUQhOQ&sig2=EQ-Z-PuHnLf8j2pGTofhAQ

best

but how great would bilals reward be in the after life for reminding people on their one basic duty to their god?
Original post by sfaraj
but how great would bilals reward be in the after life for reminding people on their one basic duty to their god?
so, you mean that by substituting most everywhere taped messages for the muezzin's call, the total amount of rewards in afterlife has been substantially reduced ? someone should really do something about this

in any case, it is not too difficult to promise huge rewards in afterlife: I could also do that easily. Say, how about 1.75 billion pounds if we ever meet in Paradise ? tempted ?

best
Original post by oShahpo
Don't forget the misogyny, the bigotry, the hatred, the sectarianism, but yea, Islam has great values.
Oh and don't forget the lack of freedom.

*Tiny edit, actually Islam is the least racist of all religions. It clearly says that everyone of any colour are equal.

Lies. Mohammed calls Ethiopians Raisin heads, an direction he said Satan looks like a black man. If you don’t believe me search it up. Plus, Mohammed also says a black man will destroy the Kaaba. The Quran also says that Christians, Jews and Idolaters are the worst of creation.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending