The Student Room Group

Increased minimum wage, but not for you lot!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Laomedeia
=. This is weird. Mike Tyson won a WBC title aged just 20. What sense would it have made that the person he knocked out got payed more than him simply because he was older?
=.

this IS weird!! im literally watching mike tyson right now!
Reply 21
Age discrimination at it's most obvious. A ridiculously unfair policy. It ought to be equal pay for equal work.
Original post by Reue
Age discrimination at it's most obvious. A ridiculously unfair policy. It ought to be equal pay for equal work.

minimum wage from birth it is then.
Reply 23
Original post by Jammy Duel
minimum wage from birth it is then.

If a child is doing the same work, then yes.
Original post by Reue
If a child is doing the same work, then yes.

But the work children are doing is likely to objectively be worth significantly less.
Reply 25
But the work children are doing is likely to objectively be worth significantly less.

Depends on the job, and in which case it's not equal work..
Original post by Reue
Depends on the job, and in which case it's not equal work..

but you were arguing that the minimum wage should be the same, there will be overlaps that will take what 25 year old do all the way down to paper rounds
Reply 27
but you were arguing that the minimum wage should be the same, there will be overlaps that will take what 25 year old do all the way down to paper rounds

I see no reason why a child shouldn't get minimum wage for their time commitment to complete a paper round. Why should an hour of a 25yr olds time be worth more than an hour of a 17yr olds time?
it's all a bit of a mess, people are essentially having their wages cut back down in other ways so the company doesn't lose out, which for a lot of people means less staffing and the same wages... I can see why now under 25s are potentially a more popular choice for employers but it seems really unfair to penalise up to that point, plenty of people under that age have all the same outgoing costs as someone over (including me!) and already can't claim working tax credits or anything so are worse off... plus for all this 'introducing a living wage' it's still miles lower than the actual living wage and as much as it will keep going up I sincerely doubt it actually catches the living wage up... and finally, as far as pushing employers to raise wages, that's all well and good for many in the private sector, I work in the public sector in a job which in theory should be paid above minimum wage, I didn't sign up for a minimum wage job, I'm only going to get my 1% again this year which will leave me bordering on minimum wage so it's certainly not going to work that way for me.

employers can pay less for less experienced staff, they're allowed to do that, they can pay less for less valuable work... why do we need to enforce paying less to someone purely due to age? I work a heck of a lot harder and do many more 'extra' things than the staff in my workplace aged over 25 and have more experience/qualifications than many of them.
Reply 30
Following the notion that older people deserve it because they're more experienced doesn't mean much when we're talking about minimum wage jobs. It doesn't take any experience to know how to stack shelves.

In which case it's for the employer to decide.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
In which case it's for the employer to decide.

So high do you want inflation to go if you want to be paying most unskilled workers way more than they're worth?
So high do you want inflation to go if you want to be paying most unskilled workers way more than they're worth?

That's the point though isn't it? Someone doesn't become more skilled just because they reached the age of 25 which is why the entire policy is nonsense.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
That's the point though isn't it? Someone doesn't become more skilled just because they reached the age of 25 which is why the entire policy is nonsense.

Productivity, on the other hand, is quite possibly higher when a bit older, and needs change too.
It will also encourage more EU migrants to move here
Original post by Jebedee
It's just going to reduce the job market and urge companies to replace workers with machines. I don't see why people pushed for this.

Because people are selfish and naive. Once jobs start getting automated they'll blame the nasty, greedy capitalists and demand more laws that ban automation.
Original post by JordanL_
Because people are selfish and naive. Once jobs start getting automated they'll blame the nasty, greedy capitalists and demand more laws that ban automation.

We shouldn't pander to the lazy. If you have minimum skills you should get minimum wage and it should move up with inflation and nothing more.

Because the common person is selfish for wanting a fair wage from Mr. Capitalist who's making a fortune by exploiting the population.... Yeah.... We're the selfish ones...
Original post by Jebedee
It's just going to reduce the job market and urge companies to replace workers with machines. I don't see why people pushed for this.

Are you a Luddite?

That is an excellent reason to increase the min wage.

Or tax some of that wealth produced by automation to give as a basic income to the now unemployed workers.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending