Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

imperial MRes Biomedical Research vs UCL MRes Bioscience?

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi. I have been offered a place without funding in both of the universities. I am still deciding which one I should take. Please tell me which one you will choose if you were me...
    P.S. I am interested in epigenetics (especially DNA Methylations).

UCL :
    I am leaning a bit towards UCL. First it is 1 project for a year, so I think it would be easier to get published(?). I also skyped with this professor in UCL who is doing DNA methylations in cancer and his research sounds interesting. I was aiming for a PhD in his lab, however due to uncertainties in funding (i am charged the oversea fees), i applied for the MRes bioscience "developmental and stem cell research stream" as a plan B.

Imperial is more prestigious in research in biological field. It has 2 seperate projects, each half a year, in 2 different labs. I thought it would not be as good because it would limit my chance to get published (i think), however a PhD friend provide another view that 2 projects will allow me to be exposed and to learn different techniques/experimental approach, which would widen my options when applying for PhD. There are also projects regarding epigenetics in breast cancer, however I have not been in touch with the professors. Imperial is also 5000 pounds more expensive.

Any thoughts??

Go with the institute that does the research your most interested in and of course think about costs if they're an issue. The point of an MRes definitely is to gain skills and experience and learn new techniques but it would help more if you did your project with someone you want to do your PhD with. Have you checked that they'd be in a position to take on a PhD student when you finish and discussed funding options with them? Please don't choose solely on whether or not you'll get a publication. Publications can take years to put together and the chances of a masters student getting on one are slim unless most of the work is already done.

woohoo I'm gonna be in for Stem cells and DB stream as well!

I was kind of in the same situation choosing between Imperial and UCL.

I decided UCL after talking to the academics there. The primary reason for choosing in favour of UCL was that they allows us to take up additional courses such as programming. I thought this would be a useful skill to have since some of recent and interesting reaserach (to me) were done using mathematical modelling and such. Employability would benefit too of course.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.