The Student Room Group

Thinking about taking a gap year: where do I start? Recommendations welcome!

So I've applied to go to university this year but I am now having doubts about whether I am ready to go. I really want to go travelling too and I'm worried if I don't do it now I may never be able to afford to take a year out and travel as I can this yearcoming.

If I take a gap year, I'll most likely travel on my own. I like the sound of going to Australia and South East Asia. Does anyone have any recommendations about companies (suchas STA, Gap 360) that they've had a good experience with. Any advice in generalwould be greatly appreciated!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Go to the Gap years forum, there is a search tool under tools, search the names of the companies you're interested in to see if other people have ever used them and what they thought about them. These articles might also help you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Gap_Year_Ideas
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Gap_Year_Advice
Reply 2
I'm on my gap year at the moment and something I'd definitely recommend is trying to not go with a tour company. It's a lot cheaper to book it all yourself and it gives you more freedom to choose what you want to do. And ask your friends if any of them want to take a gap year with you because you'll 100% enjoy being able to share your experiences with someone else :smile:
I'm nearing the end of my gap year and like above I travelled without the use of a company. I've got a collection of smaller trips with others, but I did spent most of March in Japan solo and without a company. I can't recommend it enough - I was able to choose my own itinerary to something that suited my needs, and being alone meant I didn't have to accomodate anyone else - around two weeks after coming home I travelled with someone else, and just became frustrated at the fact I had to consider someone else in my plans again.

In terms of cost, it just comes down to initial careful planning. Most of my trip occured pre-cherry blossom season but just after winter, and my flight timing and routing meant that I got good weather and a low flight fare. If you're able to start working full time, saving up is pretty easy if you're determined (like me, who would often only spend £20 or so per fortnight on top of the bus fare to work and minor rent contributions to my parents).

The biggest thing is make sure any holiday you do suits your personal needs - I know a lot of people enjoy backpacking across a country, but I prefer staying in a city and exploring instead. If you're not sure what those needs are, perhaps also plan some smaller holidays for this autumn and then do bigger ones next spring?

Quick Reply

Latest