The Student Room Group

What should I do now?!?!

Hi guys I'm new to TSR, was just looking for some friendly advice ^.^/. I'm a 17 year old A-level drop out that's currently an electrical engineering apprenticeship, which offers a 12 year contract at the end in Electrical engineering, I'm currently on £18.5k apprentice pay atm.. it's seemed to be a very good deal at the start however, I'll only gain an NVQ level 3 after my training😔... I'm I doing the right thing?? I was achieving good grades at collage but I didn't really enjoy it. I've been considering going back to collage and going to Uni to perhaps study Electrical engineering... which could offer more opportunities with employers, however is it really worth getting into 40k of debt with no real guarantee of getting better job prospects at the end of it?? Or should I just stick to what I know?? Thanks, Jack
Normally im very objective about these things, but it sounds like you have a very good apprenticeship. I would:

1. Finish the apprenticeship and save some money.
2. Possibly go to college the enhance the NVQ.to whatever level HNC/HND or qualification is required.
3. Get more work experience.
4. Then decide later if you wnat to go to Uni.

The advantage is hat you will find it easier to get onto a course if you manage it correctly as you have experience.
You will have a betetr time at uni becayse youve saved money
You will find it easier to get a job becayse you have both experience and qualifications.

Exoeriening work and earning money fwill give you time to reflect on what you really want and whether its worth spending the money for uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending