The Student Room Group

Mark Schemes

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if I would lose marks for the following:
Picture 1:
In terms of this picture, the question asked basically how could someone confirm their conclusions or make the data more reliable..

I gave the following answers:
- Repeat the experiment
- Carry out experiment with greater range of temperatures
- Test on a different material

Obviously the 'material' is ambiguous and what I really meant was actually different types of fabrics, not only cotton - so it's actually wrong. But, what I was wondering is that if I gave two correct answers and an extra answer, which is incorrect - would I still get 2 marks (full marks)?
Also, in terms of the brackets - does that mean that doesn't have to be included in the answer or does it mean it does have to be included.
M1.png

Picture 2:
I listed all the fractions in correct order except two - I wrote them the other way round. Does this mean I would be kicked out of the Band 3 as the answer has not met the criteria because it specifically says 'correctly'. I know this is an idiotic question but lol.. I gave the temperature gradient link but just got the fractions in the wrong order.
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chittesh14
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if I would lose marks for the following:
Picture 1:
In terms of this picture, the question asked basically how could someone confirm their conclusions or make the data more reliable..

I gave the following answers:
- Repeat the experiment
- Carry out experiment with greater range of temperatures
- Test on a different material

Obviously the 'material' is ambiguous and what I really meant was actually different types of fabrics, not only cotton - so it's actually wrong. But, what I was wondering is that if I gave two correct answers and an extra answer, which is incorrect - would I still get 2 marks (full marks)?
Also, in terms of the brackets - does that mean that doesn't have to be included in the answer or does it mean it does have to be included.
M1.png

Picture 2:
I listed all the fractions in correct order except two - I wrote them the other way round. Does this mean I would be kicked out of the Band 3 as the answer has not met the criteria because it specifically says 'correctly'. I know this is an idiotic question but lol.. I gave the temperature gradient link but just got the fractions in the wrong order.
Attachment not found

For the first one I think you would get the marks since you give two right answers.
As you didn't get the second one spot on, I don't think you would get the marks in band 3 for that.
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
For the first one I think you would get the marks since you give two right answers.
As you didn't get the second one spot on, I don't think you would get the marks in band 3 for that.

I make so many silly mistakes in like 5 past papers I've done - all lost 4-5 marks due to silly mistakes. I could always get A* but these mistakes restrict me. I need to start revising lol
Original post by Chittesh14
I make so many silly mistakes in like 5 past papers I've done - all lost 4-5 marks due to silly mistakes. I could always get A* but these mistakes restrict me. I need to start revising lol

You're better off making the mistakes now so you can learn from them. Good luck for your exams. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by rayquaza17
You're better off making the mistakes now so you can learn from them. Good luck for your exams. :smile:

Yeah :P, thanks.
They're all the common sense ones lol.

Quick Reply