The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway vs Kent vs UEA

Hi, guys

Now I'm considering two universities for psychology and they are Royal Holloway and Kent.
There are some pros and cons between them.

Royal Holloway-
the complete university guide -34th(overall)/ 21st(psychology)
- Guardians 40th(overall)/20th(psychology)
Royal Holloway has interesting psychology academic module highly ranked for research quality in psychology field.
BUT Royal Holloway's overall ranking is keep falling throughout the decade(13th to 34th) and psychology ranking also falling in last 5 years(8th to 21st)
Also around the university there's nothing to do(very quiet)
Royal Holloway is very international university, and apparently there are too Korean students which means i might disturb improving English.(I am Korean😀) Also l experienced that if there are many koreans we stick to each other strongly.
As I heard 70% of students in Psychology course are international students. It doesn't mean they are all Koreans, but I mind this.

Kent
- the complete university guide 22nd(overall)/ 15th(psychology)
-Guardians 16th(overall)/21st(psychology)
Kent fairly good reputation/ Canterbury is also student based on city. good facility . However the modules are just acceptable not that very~~ interesting because I want to study about cognitive psychology but Kent focused on social psychology.
Well, social psychlogy is also interesting but that is not exact one which i want to study.
Kent shows quite up-trend in league tables. especially in graduate prospects category.
However, it has lower level of research quality. and again, the module is not very interesting but acceptable.
So basically I think these two universities have opposite benefits ( academic vs general level of good things)

Can you advise me to choose university. I wish I can get advice from someone who have experience on psychology course for both university.

Ohhh just addtional information, I've got five conditional offers from Royal Holloway, Kent, Loughborough,East Anglia and Essex.

If you recommend the other university among them, please do so
(edited 8 years ago)
Incidentally you mention UEA in the title, and mention you have an offer with us, but your decision seems to be between two other universities. Any reason you seem to have ruled us out?

As well as being a Top 20 university (16th Complete University Guide 2015, 18th Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2015-16) we have been ranked 2nd for student satisfaction (National Student Survey 2015) and feature in the World Top 100 for research (Leiden Ranking 2015).

The Guardian University Guide 2016 also puts us 14th in the Psychology rankings (higher than the other two universities you mention) with an overall satisfaction rating of 92% for the School of Psychology according to our students in the National Student Survey.

We were also named one of the world's Top 100 "most international universities" rankings meaning you'll be in good company wherever you move from!

While that's a lot of stats, we thought it was worth mentioning based on your original post! Take a look at our video to find out a bit more about studying Psychology at the University of East Anglia.

[video="youtube;tAp3ptqhOfc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAp3ptqhOfc[/video]
I'll personally go for UEA.

I have friends who went there and love it more than they love their home.
Psychology at RHUL is one of their best courses in terms of teaching and quality. Focus on the course score not overall uni.
Original post by SuperStar#7
I'll personally go for UEA.

I have friends who went there and love it more than they love their home.

why? what do they do?
Original post by scrawlx101
why? what do they do?

They just really like the school.

The satisfaction scores are really high.
Reply 6
Original post by Noodlzzz
Psychology at RHUL is one of their best courses in terms of teaching and quality. Focus on the course score not overall uni.

Do you mean the ranking or subject is important??
Original post by Noodlzzz

Kind of agree but then UEA is also strong for Psychology. Equally for levels of student satisfaction UEA scores highest too.
Original post by qwer12
Do you mean the ranking or subject is important??

subject ranking not overall uni ranking

Quick Reply

Latest