The Student Room Group

Timing

Hello all!

I recently finished Fp1 and have begun past papers. I have sat 3 papers today and in all three, I've achieved 100 ums. However, in all three I've gone beyond 1
hour and 30 mins. The first paper I spent 1 hour and 50 minutes solving it...

I've tried speeding up my writing but then I just make silly mistakes. I don't have much trouble answering the questions, it's just for this module workings out and writing especially in induction are much longer...

What should I do?
You are ultimately in the fortunate position of being able to do the problems and get them right :smile:.In terms of reducing the time, practice helps a lot but in the sense that you can see how to do a problem quicker. Do you find that the process that you need to carry out is fairly obvious upon reading the question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm even with the PbI questions it's not too hard to finish in time. Try speeding up on other easier topics like complex numbers
Another thing that I find useful is looking at the mark schemes to see for questions where I gain the marks and it helps to see very efficient methods of doing the problem.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
You could try timing yourself, so and hour and 30 mins the first time, then reduce it by 5mins until you get the desired time you want. That way it's not rushed and less stressful.
Reply 5
Original post by FamilyFirst
Hello all!

I recently finished Fp1 and have begun past papers. I have sat 3 papers today and in all three, I've achieved 100 ums. However, in all three I've gone beyond 1
hour and 30 mins. The first paper I spent 1 hour and 50 minutes solving it...

I've tried speeding up my writing but then I just make silly mistakes. I don't have much trouble answering the questions, it's just for this module workings out and writing especially in induction are much longer...

What should I do?

Maybe you are writing far more than you need to, induction proofs at A-Level shouldn't need to take more than 5-8 minutes. Why don't you post up a picture of one of the induction proofs you've written up so we can offer material suggestions?
If you show most of the mark scheme line by line that's probably more working than needed to get the marks. Maybe use mathematical notation in the induction sections to reduce writing ?
Reply 7
Original post by EnglishMuon
If you show most of the mark scheme line by line that's probably more working than needed to get the marks. Maybe use mathematical notation in the induction sections to reduce writing ?

I second this - it has reduced the amount of time wasted on induction questions. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest