The Student Room Group

What should be done for the steel industry in Port Talbot?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChildOfTony
It would still be unsustainable- it is the energy bill which is excessively over priced , the wages of the employees would be a big big expense and Britian can not compete with china's finest sub-standard steel to be honest.

we hand over legislation/regulation to them too.
Original post by Bill_Gates
we hand over legislation/regulation to them too.

Will they want to buy it? Production is more expensive here
Will they want to buy it? Production is more expensive here

True, depends if the price is right.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Which is why it irritates me no end when the Conservative big up how great their party is for national security at the same time as letting Chinese Communists undermine our industries.

You're god damn right. We should never have let them build the nuclear power station at Hinkley, if the Chinese can run that at a profit, the government could easily raise the funds through bond sales and repay investors with the proceeds, then we could raise our middle fingers as almost as high as we raise the import tariffs because David Cameron isn't the slut of the people('s republic)
True, depends if the price is right.

They could possibly buy the equipment in there at a knocked down price - has to be more up to date then anything in China. My Dad worked for the most advanced technology plant in Europe- that would have been early 1980's everything was push button instead of mechanicals- I doubt china are at that level.
They could possibly buy the equipment in there at a knocked down price - has to be more up to date then anything in China. My Dad worked for the most advanced technology plant in Europe- that would have been early 1980's everything was push button instead of mechanicals- I doubt china are at that level.

China a dominant player globally in the steel industry, i'm sure they have the latest tech and major £££££
Eurosceptics talking rubbish as usual. States in the EU can and do renationalise, most recently in Italy.

http://www.anothereurope.org/lets-be-clear-nationalisation-is-not-against-eu-law/
China a dominant player globally in the steel industry, i'm sure they have the latest tech and major £££££

They have thousands of plants one of them will pay for an upgrade- but i hope we do not sell the equipment, and just leave it unoperational, Then if we ever need to produce again, we can.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
Agreed.

When the happening happens and we need to raise an army, the financial sector isn't gonna cut it

I doubt a conventional army would be necessary in a war against China, considering both we and they are nuclear powers.
Original post by BenC1997
I doubt a conventional army would be necessary in a war against China, considering both we and they are nuclear powers.

Just out of interest what would you propose if there was a world war, us and China was on opposing sides India remained neutral, neither sides use nuclear weaponary and we have no steel, or any other metal for that factor to produce anumation with. We need to still produce but not a lot.
Just out of interest what would you propose if there was a world war, us and China was on opposing sides India remained neutral, neither sides use nuclear weaponary and we have no steel, or any other metal for that factor to produce anumation with. We need to still produce but not a lot.

Considering that would probably never happen it's hard to propose a solution. However, assuming it's a truly world war then we'd presumably have USA on our side, who would give us sufficient supplies. We would also trade withneutral India.

Again though, there's little point in retorting that as the situation is so unlikely.
They have thousands of plants one of them will pay for an upgrade- but i hope we do not sell the equipment, and just leave it unoperational, Then if we ever need to produce again, we can.

depends what TATA want. But i do agree we still need the capacity to produce at the VERY LEAST.
depends what TATA want. But i do agree we still need the capacity to produce at the VERY LEAST.

If we buy the equipment from tata it can always be there if we need it, or we can buy it cheaply when the close and then sell it on. EDIT my guess is that Tata will take it to India where they can produce it cheaper why
1, Probably lower business tax
2. No minimum wage
3. Almost certainly cheaper utility bills

Thats why a lot of British steel firms moved abroad in the 1980's
(edited 7 years ago)
If we buy the equipment from tata it can always be there if we need it, or we can buy it cheaply when the close and then sell it on. EDIT my guess is that Tata will take it to India where they can produce it cheaper why
1, Probably lower business tax
2. No minimum wage
3. Almost certainly cheaper utility bills

Thats why a lot of British steel firms moved abroad in the 1980's

might be out-dated by the time we need it or fall into disrepair.
might be out-dated by the time we need it or fall into disrepair.

It doesn't matter as long as we can get some output- the Germans do not rely on China
Reply 55
There is no point keeping steel making industry in the UK.

The strategic argument is nonsense because Britain has to import iron ore and coke to make the steel in the first place so we will never be self sufficient in steel anyway.

If steel is needed for defence purposes, just buy and keep a reserve of a million tonnes of steel and have the rolling capacity to turn it into different sizes. Steel is both cheap and easy to store especially now so the govt should spend a few hundred million on a strategic steel reserve similar to the one for oil and allow market forces to take over. It would be cheaper than keeping Port Talbot going which is losing a million pounds a day.
Original post by Dirty Dawah
You're god damn right. We should never have let them build the nuclear power station at Hinkley, if the Chinese can run that at a profit, the government could easily raise the funds through bond sales and repay investors with the proceeds, then we could raise our middle fingers as almost as high as we raise the import tariffs because David Cameron isn't the slut of the people('s republic)

I'm sure the Chinese government has the best interests of Britain at heart with their steel dumping and Nuclear power plant running :laugh:

https://theconversation.com/britains-nuclear-deal-with-china-is-a-boon-for-bankers-and-no-one-else-49413

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4587446.ece
Original post by Maker

The strategic argument is nonsense because Britain has to import iron ore and coke to make the steel in the first place so we will never be self sufficient in steel anyway.

If steel is needed for defence purposes, just buy and keep a reserve of a million tonnes of steel and have the rolling capacity to turn it into different sizes. Steel is both cheap and easy to store especially now so the govt should spend a few hundred million on a strategic steel reserve similar to the one for oil and allow market forces to take over. It would be cheaper than keeping Port Talbot going which is losing a million pounds a day.

spot on
Original post by Maker

You can recycle it by putting it back through the furnace and moulding again. Actually to generate the heat to mould it you don't necessarily need a furnace
Original post by Davij038
Eurosceptics talking rubbish as usual. States in the EU can and do renationalise, most recently in Italy.

http://www.anothereurope.org/lets-be-clear-nationalisation-is-not-against-eu-law/

Love that "Keeping the flame of Thatcherism alive" UKIP are all for nationalisation lol

Quick Reply

Latest