The Student Room Group

rushed open day

I'm going to the open day on the afternoon of 30th June (next Wed), and Selwyn has organised something for the Thu. Considering I'll only have a few hours to charge from college to college, I was wondering if anyone could help me to decide which to look at? I'm applying to study English, would like a fairly small college that isn't too renowned for its rowdiness, and think that the library and traditional buildings are important. Any suggestions? :confused:
Reply 1
wont you have time to look at both? on my open day i looked at at least 8 colleges. It doesnt take long to make up your mind. Go in, get a prospectus - where they are handing them out, ask any questions you want quickly, then leave - wont take longer than 30 mins per college!
Reply 2
coopiesugar
I'm going to the open day on the afternoon of 30th June (next Wed), and Selwyn has organised something for the Thu. Considering I'll only have a few hours to charge from college to college, I was wondering if anyone could help me to decide which to look at? I'm applying to study English, would like a fairly small college that isn't too renowned for its rowdiness, and think that the library and traditional buildings are important. Any suggestions? :confused:

emmanuel and clare are allegedly good for english, but they aren't that small i suppose. what do you have against rowdiness?
Reply 3
Sidney Sussex? They're quite small and friendly I think. Not too sure about libraries though.
Reply 4
emmanuel!! *dances*
Reply 5
coopiesugar

Definitely visit Emmanuel! (and Pembroke)
Reply 6
St Catharines is pretty small and Low-key, and right in the city centre. Not sure about the library though.
Reply 7
Acaila
Sidney Sussex? They're quite small and friendly I think. Not too sure about libraries though.

Supposed to be well stocked ( I'll be in a position to confirm or deny this in October. They wouldn't let me in at my interview ) considering the size of the college but its main selling point is that it's open 24 hours a day. This gives you a viable alternative to making soap.
Reply 8
figgetyfig
St Catharines is pretty small and Low-key, and right in the city centre. Not sure about the library though.

True, and Catz is within easy walking distance of the English faculty Library. Clare is also quite close to libraries (both UL and English), as is Selwyn, and as far as I know none of these are particularly known for rowdiness.
Reply 9
Clare! Tis nice, 1st year accommodation near to the Sidg (which I think is where they have English) and the UL, and the library is good.

If really small is what you want, I think Peterhouse and Corpus are the smallest.
Reply 10
Helenia
Clare! Tis nice, 1st year accommodation near to the Sidg (which I think is where they have English) and the UL, and the library is good.

Yeah lectures on are the Sidgewick site, and the library and faculty are moving to the new building they have contructed next to the music faculty building so they are geographically coming even closer to first year Clare accomodation.
Reply 11
dont listen to helenia, her views are biased, whereas my recommendations have not a hint of unfair influence in them! :wink:
Helenia
1st year accommodation near to the Sidg

Caius' 1st year accommodation is even closer to the Sidgwick site :wink: Mind you, it isn't very small...
Reply 13
MadNatSci
Caius' 1st year accommodation is even closer to the Sidgwick site :wink: Mind you, it isn't very small...

Caius first year accommodation is hideous though; Mem Court is lovely!

And Willa is more biassed than me, if that is possible.
Reply 14
Helenia
Caius first year accommodation is hideous though; Mem Court is lovely!

Harvey Court might be hideous, and more so after they installed the wire fences on the balconies to thwart attempts at emulating superman during easter term...

HOWEVER... the place does grow on you. after all, no matter how beautiful or ugly the architecture (c.f. King's College Chapel, Christ's Typewriter etc.), you get used to, or rather, immune to it. More importantly, Harvey Court is a really social place, which is what really makes a difference.

Damn, they really should let the first years live in our houses next year and let us all stay in HC...
Reply 15
Helenia

And Willa is more biassed than me, if that is possible.

Your accusations are clearly unfounded, whereas mine are clearly founded on the fact that you are at cambridge, in Clare.
Reply 16
KHL
Harvey Court might be hideous, and more so after they installed the wire fences on the balconies to thwart attempts at emulating superman during easter term...

HOWEVER... the place does grow on you. after all, no matter how beautiful or ugly the architecture (c.f. King's College Chapel, Christ's Typewriter etc.), you get used to, or rather, immune to it. More importantly, Harvey Court is a really social place, which is what really makes a difference.

Damn, they really should let the first years live in our houses next year and let us all stay in HC...

Awww, getting nostalgic over your accommodation, I know how you feel; I really didn't want to leave Mem (although possibly a good idea now that so many people here know where I live and could thus stalk me highly efficiently :eek: )

Willa, but you're going there next year, and thus are full of pre-emptive fresher enthusiasm :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending