The Student Room Group

Re-taking AS at home

Hi all,
Does anyone know whether you can re-take AS from home if you didn't get the grades to qualify for A2?
Reply 1
Original post by cp98
Does anyone know whether you can re-take AS from home if you didn't get the grades to qualify for A2?

You can enter for exams as a private candidate at any exam centre that will accept you but you will have to go to that centre to take the exams. The main entryd deadline for this summer was 21 February so you could now have to pay late fees, the fees go up again on 22 April.
Original post by Compost
You can enter for exams as a private candidate at any exam centre that will accept you but you will have to go to that centre to take the exams. The main entryd deadline for this summer was 21 February so you could now have to pay late fees, the fees go up again on 22 April.

Just wondering if this is actually a query about distance learning. Hard to tell.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost

Thank you! Would I also need to apply for college?
Reply 4
Original post by cp98
Thank you! Would I also need to apply for college?

No. Please could you explain what you think you want to do? Broadly speaking the options are:

Enroll at a school/college and study there. They pay to enter you for exams.

Enroll in a distance learning course (you have to pay) and learn from that at home. Find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to enter you as a private candidate for the exams (you have to pay for that too).

Teach yourself from books/internet resources and then find an exam centre willing to enter you as a private candidate for the exams (you have to pay for that).

Reply 5
Original post by Compost
No. Please could you explain what you think you want to do? Broadly speaking the options are:

Enroll at a school/college and study there. They pay to enter you for exams.

Enroll in a distance learning course (you have to pay) and learn from that at home. Find an exam centre (=any secondary school or college) willing to enter you as a private candidate for the exams (you have to pay for that too).

Teach yourself from books/internet resources and then find an exam centre willing to enter you as a private candidate for the exams (you have to pay for that).

Teach myself from books/internet resources and then find an exam centre willing to enter me as a private candidate for the exams
Reply 6
Original post by cp98
Teach myself from books/internet resources and then find an exam centre willing to enter me as a private candidate for the exams

Fine. there are problems with this if you are doing subjects with coursework but for exam only subjects you just need to find a centre willing to accept private candidates - I'd start looking in November and make sure it's all sorted by the end of January. Prices vary a lot between centres so it is worth looking around. There is advice on the exam board websites for private candidates.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest