The Student Room Group

Columbia vs Oxford vs Imperial

Hello everyone!
I am really happy to be admitted at Columbia University (Engineering school) and both at Oxford (Engineering science) and at Imperial College London (Electrical&Electronic engineering). I have thought extensively about all three universities and their pros and cons, but I have not managed to make a firm decision (obviously they are all amazing). I would be really grateful if you could share your opinions or any additional information that might help me decide where to continue my education.
Thank you beforehand!
Original post by kajiklos
Hello everyone!
I am really happy to be admitted at Columbia University (Engineering school) and both at Oxford (Engineering science) and at Imperial College London (Electrical&Electronic engineering). I have thought extensively about all three universities and their pros and cons, but I have not managed to make a firm decision (obviously they are all amazing). I would be really grateful if you could share your opinions or any additional information that might help me decide where to continue my education.
Thank you beforehand!

Hey dude - congrats! You've got a great choice to make :smile:

Personally I'd go for Columbia for the following reasons:
-I'd like to work in the US in the future
-It's important to me to be given a broader education in terms of taking classes in different fields. I do like certain humanities and, especially with Columbia, reading is HUGE.
-NYC - you can't beat that!
-Personal bias :')

Do ask this on College Confidential too
Hello everyone!
Thank you beforehand!

First of all, congratulations on your offers!

If you want to work in the US, then I would highly recommend Columbia. Not only does it have a great reputation, you would reap the benefits of attending an Ivy League school with opportunities and experiences that would blow the other UK unis out of the water. However, you would need to consider your financial resources, since the price tag is hefty and the programme would be four years.

Should you consider going back to the UK, I would consider the other two. I'm not saying that employers will believe that it is advantageous to go to Oxford or Imperial instead of Columbia, but it would be much cost-effective to attend a UK uni opposed to Columbia. Besides, I believe there may be exchange opportunities available at Imperial and Oxford to allow you to attend one of their partner universities in the US.
Original post by Student403
Hey dude - congrats! You've got a great choice to make :smile:

Personally I'd go for Columbia for the following reasons:
-I'd like to work in the US in the future
-It's important to me to be given a broader education in terms of taking classes in different fields. I do like certain humanities and, especially with Columbia, reading is HUGE.
-NYC - you can't beat that!
-Personal bias :':wink:

Do ask this on College Confidential too

This! And I would pick Columbia because it was my dream university to attend XD
But Congratulations! Certainly let us know which school you pick. :biggrin:
Hello everyone!
Thank you beforehand!

you'd better have picked Columbia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending