The Student Room Group

Leaving sixth form after AS exams? (Moving for Y13)

So I'm leaving my sixth form to move for year 13 (due to social issues), I am so disenfranchised with my current sixth form that I would leave tomorrow if I could. I just want to see if anyone else left sixth form after AS and how they did it. I know I have to come back on the 15th of June, but yeah I don't want to. How can I break it to my sixth form, as my new sixth form advised me to carry on until I start with them in September. I just can't bear the brunt of being judged by people I hate. I can't f*****g wait to leave. All I need to know is can I leave straight after my AS exams, or would this be an issue? (I know I won't get a form tutor reference, but I didn't like her anyway).
Reply 1
Original post by samiln
So I'm leaving my sixth form to move for year 13 (due to social issues), I am so disenfranchised with my current sixth form that I would leave tomorrow if I could. I just want to see if anyone else left sixth form after AS and how they did it. I know I have to come back on the 15th of June, but yeah I don't want to. How can I break it to my sixth form, as my new sixth form advised me to carry on until I start with them in September. I just can't bear the brunt of being judged by people I hate. I can't f*****g wait to leave. All I need to know is can I leave straight after my AS exams, or would this be an issue? (I know I won't get a form tutor reference, but I didn't like her anyway).

You will have to ask the head of your sixth form. Afterwards, you should contact other sixth form and ask to move there for yr13.

I'm lucky that I knew my head of sixth form at my new one, so I moved without filling a single paper or doing anything.
Original post by kkboyk
You will have to ask the head of your sixth form. Afterwards, you should contact other sixth form and ask to move there for yr13.

I'm lucky that I knew my head of sixth form at my new one, so I moved without filling a single paper or doing anything.

Yeah, the new head of year knows I'm moving, and my move is all sorted out. Have you been through the process yourself? What was it like, and did it affect your UCAS??
Reply 3
Original post by samiln
Yeah, the new head of year knows I'm moving, and my move is all sorted out. Have you been through the process yourself? What was it like, and did it affect your UCAS??

In no way should it affect your UCAS (unless you were kicked out due to something serious). It was pretty normal, plus I prefer the people in my sixth form.
Original post by kkboyk
In no way should it affect your UCAS (unless you were kicked out due to something serious). It was pretty normal, plus I prefer the people in my sixth form.

Did you go through any spec changes?? (I'm gonna move from AQA Geography to Edexcel), Sorry for all the questions aha, but yeah did you leave your old sixth form after AS exams, or did you go back until the Summer holidays (early transition into y13)?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by samiln
Did you go through any spec changes?? (I'm gonna move from AQA Geography to Edexcel), Sorry for all the questions aha, but yeah did you leave your old sixth form after AS exams, or did you go back until the Summer holidays (early transition into y13)?

I picked ones with similar exam board, since it will be much easier. Don't worry I don't mind :tongue:

After results day, since my previous sixth form would not allow me to drop a subject.
Original post by kkboyk
I picked ones with similar exam board, since it will be much easier. Don't worry I don't mind :tongue:

After results day, since my previous sixth form would not allow me to drop a subject.

Did you know you were gonna leave before your AS exams? Did you get a reference from your old sixth form??
Reply 7
Original post by samiln
Did you know you were gonna leave before your AS exams? Did you get a reference from your old sixth form??

No I didn't need to get a reference, since I knew the head of sixth form and a few teachers in my new sixth form (so they pretty much just let me in). It was a bit of surprise as I wasn't planning on leaving, but I'm glad I left, since my old sixth form was huge (had around 1000 students) and I felt like I did not fit in.
Original post by kkboyk
No I didn't need to get a reference, since I knew the head of sixth form and a few teachers in my new sixth form (so they pretty much just let me in). It was a bit of surprise as I wasn't planning on leaving, but I'm glad I left, since my old sixth form was huge (had around 1000 students) and I felt like I did not fit in.

My current sixth form is quite 'exclusive' and the majority of the people came from the same school, so they all kind of stick together and refuse to make new friends. Did you make friends relatively quickly at your new sixth form?
Reply 9
Original post by samiln
My current sixth form is quite 'exclusive' and the majority of the people came from the same school, so they all kind of stick together and refuse to make new friends. Did you make friends relatively quickly at your new sixth form?

I knew quite a lot of people there, so yes I eventually made friends with everyone. As long as you know a few you'd make friends quite quickly. If you don't know anyone, then you should try and be the one to initiate a conversation and eventually make a few friends (since everyone else will know each other, and so will pretty much ignore you).

Quick Reply

Latest