The Student Room Group

How to get 3 C's at As levels ?

any advice ? I'm taking history , RS and psychology ?
Past papers help and flash cards. What did you get in your mocks?
What
Original post by lydiam2
any advice ? I'm taking history , RS and psychology ?

Firstly: Thank you for saying C's and not A*s.. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been feeling pretty down about their own results at A-level thanks to all the A/A* threads!

Secondly: Unfortunately there isn't a simple answer, and the answer is different depending on how you learn best. However I would recommend taking advantage of revision guides, any online resources you can find, revision sessions that your teachers organise, and using your own spare time wisely. Have a look at websites such as getrevising (which may or may not have merged with this site) which has loads of resources and can help you produce an effective revision timetable which allows for commitments and gives you a realistic time plan.

Some people learn better by discussing ideas within a group, whilst some people work best by repetitively revising on their own. Working with other people takes much longer, but can be great at helping you understand concepts you're unsure about, and also engraining (is that a word? Or does it start with an i? :/) what you already know when you help others to understand.

Some people work best visually by using diagrams, drawings or writing notes in colours, maybe producing posters too. Some people are best stimulated by sound, and might find listening to specific music with different topics helps them to remember, or recording themselves read out information and listening back. Some people find things stick best when just making plain old notes repetitively.

Make use of every past paper resource you can find. If you can't answer a question, don't answer it blindly; go back over the topic until you feel you can answer it more accurately and the information will be more likely to stick.

Something I advise no matter what you're learning is not to aim for a specific grade, but to just aim to constantly improve. This way you will do your best, as opposed to having unrealistic expectations or not reaching your full potential.

Something which I remember from RS at GCSE and Philosophy at AS-level is that you often have to give lots of quotes.. I remember my Rs teacher telling me that you can't be marked down about using the same quote over and over as long as it's relevant. So have a think about qoutes you can use more than once rather than trying to memorise endless lists of them!

I hope this helps a little?
Reply 4
Original post by Rhythmical
Past papers help and flash cards. What did you get in your mocks?

DDE
Ive been discussing with my wife today about post 16 choices. Our own elder child could have done A levels but instead is doing a BTEC because he knows what he wants to go into in future.

I wonder if you know what you want to do next and whether you just 'fell into' A levels not being told about alternatives.
Original post by lydiam2
DDE

Pretty standard to what students are achieving. I got two D's but it's not like you will achieve A grades at such an early stage. Look at student responses and examiner reports and even assessment objectives help too. Practice at home by doing a question you feel not confident on.

Quick Reply

Latest