Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

CompSci 1st year: book list?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Accepted my UofG offer for CompSci a while back and was wondering if anyone has a book list from previous years?

I was at the applicant day last week and heard you get one at the start of each year. It would be great to have a look at some stuff throughout summer if there's anything like this floating about!

Depending on what courses you take, CS has two routes: CS1P/CS1Q or CS1PX/CS1S. 1P/1Q is for students with some programming experience, and the textbook is free online:

I'm not sure on the 1PX one, I don't think there even is one.

For CS1Q they ask for a £50 textbook which honestly is not required at all. Everyone I've spoken to about it including myself think it's a waste of money.

Feel free to hit me up with any other questions about first year CS, as I'm currently taking it

I've dabbled in some python before and plan on having a look at it through summer again, but I'd prefer to go down the 1PX route as I may have picked up some bad habits.

Thanks so much for the info though, I really appreciate it! It'll give me something to look into.

And I think I'll definitely take you up on that offer haha, cheers.

If you have some experience with python I would highly suggest going into 1P instead, you will most likely get very bored in 1PX otherwise despite 1PX being offered, 1P isn't very hard.

You can change from 1PX to 1P and vice versa in the first couple of weeks anyway though, which is what I did along with half the class.

I could upload the lecture slides to dropbox if you'd like to browse over the summer.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What were/are your predicted grades?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.