The Student Room Group

Phy 4 Help!!!!

Thats the Q im stuck on :s-smilie::s-smilie: help much appreciated.

A maximum is observed at point O, and the
next maximum at point X. By means of suitable
measurements on the diagram, determine the
wavelength of the microwaves. NOTE: In the
experiment the slits are exactly 2. 4 cm wide
[3]

the diag to this is there:

PLZ help!!!!

the MS for it says this

Spoiler

qwerty3
Thats the Q im stuck on :s-smilie::s-smilie: help much appreciated.

A maximum is observed at point O, and the
next maximum at point X. By means of suitable
measurements on the diagram, determine the
wavelength of the microwaves. NOTE: In the
experiment the slits are exactly 2. 4 cm wide
[3]

the diag to this is there:

PLZ help!!!!

the MS for it says this

Spoiler

I don't know about the mark scheme but I would do it like this.

Measure the distance with a ruler from the centre of the left slit to X.
Measure the distance from the centre of the right slit to X.

The difference between the 2 is the path difference, which for the first maximum is 1 wavelength. However, the diagram is not necessarily 1:1, so measure the width of the slit. It should give 2.4cm so work out the scale factor of the diagram and apply that same factor to your path difference. That is your actual wavelength.
Reply 2
The wavelength of the microwave is calculated as follows. Find the difference in the distance from the centre of each slit to the point X. Use the scale to find the actual distance and that is your wavelength of the microwave.
The reason why the distance is the wavelength because it's the first constructive point after the central one therefore the phase difference is 1 full wavelength. Consecutively, the second one would be 2 wavelengths and so on.
Reply 3
so the MS is wrong then?? cause thats what i did just calculate the path diff x scale fator and thats your wavelength cause its the 1st maximum :s-smilie::s-smilie: hmm
Reply 4
They probably used a different scale to yours but it should give the same answer.
qwerty3
so the MS is wrong then?? cause thats what i did just calculate the path diff x scale fator and thats your wavelength cause its the 1st maximum :s-smilie::s-smilie: hmm

if you're doing it off a computer screen or printed it out yourself then it may be that the scale is different? Mind you, either way, whatever the scale the final result should be the same - only the scale factor would change. That is the whole point.
measure the distance from the centre of the first slit to the point X
record this measurement
measure the distance from the centre of the second slit to the point X
Don't forget to use the scale if one is given
find the difference between the two measurements, the difference is the wavelength because the path difference = 1 x lambda

Latest