The Student Room Group

Student finance basing my loan off of my parents income but I don't live with them

Hello!

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on my student finance application.

On the application it says that if I'm in contact with my parents (which I am and get financial help from them: £100 fa month from my mother) however, my parents household income is above £40,000 per year. The problem is, is that I don't actually live with my parents and they cannot afford to give me extra financial help throughout the academic year.

I actually live with my grandparents who have a household income of £23,000 per year. There is quite a big difference between the household incomes but the application said I needed to put my mum and her partner as the household which they judge my income off of.

I'm just concerned as I don't think I'll get the help I need next year if they base it off of my mums household income when I don't even live in that household.

I'm frantically worrying about it and wondered if you could offer any advice.

I've already rung up student finance but the lady on the phone said all I can do is wait but didn't give me any other advice... is that the only thing I can do? I'm worried that I won't get enough money to live on next year.

Thank you
Original post by Amysmith1997
Hello!

I'm wondering if I could get some advice on my student finance application.

On the application it says that if I'm in contact with my parents (which I am and get financial help from them: £100 fa month from my mother) however, my parents household income is above £40,000 per year. The problem is, is that I don't actually live with my parents and they cannot afford to give me extra financial help throughout the academic year.

I actually live with my grandparents who have a household income of £23,000 per year. There is quite a big difference between the household incomes but the application said I needed to put my mum and her partner as the household which they judge my income off of.

I'm just concerned as I don't think I'll get the help I need next year if they base it off of my mums household income when I don't even live in that household.

I'm frantically worrying about it and wondered if you could offer any advice.

I've already rung up student finance but the lady on the phone said all I can do is wait but didn't give me any other advice... is that the only thing I can do? I'm worried that I won't get enough money to live on next year.

Thank you

The Government guidance says:
"Your household income is made up of your income plus that of the people who live with you"
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income

Do your grandparents have formal guardianship of you? Do they receive your child benefit or child tax credits or similar for looking after you? Is there anything in your school records confirming them as the main point of contact?

If you can prove that your household is your grandparents then that is the income that will be assessed but you need some form of evidence.
Yes they do receive my child benefits etc. My college details are all at my grandparents (my home) address.

Will I be able to appeal if student finance assess my parents income instead?

Original post by PQ
The Government guidance says:
"Your household income is made up of your income plus that of the people who live with you"
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance/household-income

Do your grandparents have formal guardianship of you? Do they receive your child benefit or child tax credits or similar for looking after you? Is there anything in your school records confirming them as the main point of contact?

If you can prove that your household is your grandparents then that is the income that will be assessed but you need some form of evidence.
Original post by Amysmith1997
Yes they do receive my child benefits etc. My college details are all at my grandparents (my home) address.

Will I be able to appeal if student finance assess my parents income instead?

Who did you list on your application? If you've already submitted with your parents details then contact SFE by phone and explain that your Grandparents are your household (and mention child benefit school records etc) and ask for the application to be changed to refer to them instead of your parents. SFE might ask for evidence of some sort but it sounds like you have enough to make a good case that your grandparents are your household. The form is not designed to cope with anyone who doesn't live with their parents and isn't in local authority care - I know people who have older siblings as their official guardians who have similar problems :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending