Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anxiety and OCD ruining my life

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

Hi, I've had anxiety for over 4 years now. It started after I got IBS and I felt ill every time I would go out. This led me to avoid going out for a while. I then realised that I had to make myself go out anyway and I would 'probably' be ok once I got there. For me there is never any certainty and I'm always thinking of possible things that can go wrong. At home, I worry about water getting into plugs and light switches, dropping things on the floor that my dog may eat, germs- keep washing my hands etc. I never want to go out anywhere, apart from a few places like food shopping that I'm generally ok with. Anxiety is like a natural instinct for me now, if someone mentions going out somewhere or if I find I have another job to do, I get this instant pang in my stomach and the anxiety starts rushing in my head. It makes me feel physically ill and I get brain fog. I've been to CBT twice before. After the second time I felt quite better for a few weeks but then when it came up to starting university again, my anxiety came back worse, I started getting panic attacks when I'd only had one before. My OCD got progressively worse to the extent that they're both there every day almost all of the time. I hate going to university but I'm in my final year and I wanted to finish so I've struggled through, I've still got around two months left and I feel like I'm really struggling with that, as well as mental health, I also keep feeling physically ill but I'm forcing myself to work sometimes because I have so much to do. I don't want to be like this anymore, it has taken over my life and I don't know what to do. I want to be able to be relaxed, not worry, not have obsessions or compulsions and be able to go out and do things and not worry about it. I think my worries centre around 1. going out/ doing things 2. death/serious illness. I don't know how to get over worrying. So I came on here in the hope that someone would have some tips, something to change all this. I am waiting for CBT but it is taking so long and there is no guarantee that it will work. I think I can't not worry because the results could be so dire/ I don't want to do a lot of things and this is not laziness, I am a really hard worker but I haven't been able to relax in so long. So if anyone has any tips that may help me, please let me know, thank you and sorry for the length just wanted to give you an idea.

Are you getting anything like counselling?

I've not tried anything like this and I'm sure someone knows far more than me; but I do believe there's some self help CBT type courses you can do online.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 1, 1970
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.