The Student Room Group

is PGdip worthless degree to get?

Its a simple question. Would a PGdip a worthless degree to get in a employer point of view compare to a person with a batchelor with honor?
Original post by initiald
Its a simple question. Would a PGdip a worthless degree to get in a employer point of view compare to a person with a batchelor with honor?

This is very difficult to answer - are you considering a particular PGDip?

A PGDip is a postgraduate course - so anyone with a PGDip would also usually have a BA/BSc/BEng.
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
This is very difficult to answer - are you considering a particular PGDip?

A PGDip is a postgraduate course - so anyone with a PGDip would also usually have a BA/BSc/BEng.

Well considering the horrible job market and the difficult times that many are facing today. Not many are fortunate to get the experiences for the role they are applying for. I heard many have gone and did a PGDip to make themselves more employable but would this be good enough for an employer eyes as an equivalent against someone with, for example, a Batchelor 1st class honors? Some i heard people are chasing the graduate role by going through PGDip, but wouldn't that make a waste of time and rather them to finish a MSc?
Reply 3
Well considering the horrible job market and the difficult times that many are facing today. Not many are fortunate to get the experiences for the role they are applying for. I heard many have gone and did a PGDip to make themselves more employable but would this be good enough for an employer eyes as an equivalent against someone with, for example, a Batchelor 1st class honors? Some i heard people are chasing the graduate role by going through PGDip, but wouldn't that make a waste of time and rather them to finish a MSc?

For engineering just do an MSc if you want a standalone postgrad qualification. Although it's easier to do the undergraduate MEng which get you to Masters level anyway and makes student funding easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
For engineering just do an MSc if you want a standalone postgrad qualification. Although it's easier to do the undergraduate MEng which get you to Masters level anyway and makes student funding easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course that is true. Although i've gotten a MSc in engineering however seems like market is dying for oil and gas industry. I'm looking towards building construction with no work experiences related to the course and thought it would it be wise to do a PGcert or not? of course MSc requires you to do a dissertation but its is costly to go and get the materials you need.
Reply 5
Of course that is true. Although i've gotten a MSc in engineering however seems like market is dying for oil and gas industry. I'm looking towards building construction with no work experiences related to the course and thought it would it be wise to do a PGcert or not? of course MSc requires you to do a dissertation but its is costly to go and get the materials you need.

You have a MSc already? In what?
however seems like market is dying for oil and gas industry.

I know that feel.

What is your undergrad, whether it be BEng or MEng or even a BSc, in? And your MSc?
Reply 7
Well i graduate with a BEng in Mechanical Engineering (hons) and a MSc in advance Materials Engineering. Both area are which i considered to be specialized in area like structural integrity, and of course in oil and gas sector. Problems is where i live where opportunity aren't offered as well as the graduate scheme, and relocation isn't an option ( even though there are opportunity out there but i noticed that they prefer local graduates as they are guaranteed to be available immediately. ). Several years working for a temporary role in an non related graduate jobs as to keep myself in the market, i feel that i need to curve my career into building service or the are of construction. But hey that is life and not many will change. The market in my region based in civil and structural engineering but what are the chances to get into it?

I was looking at one of the offering considered PGcert and the reason was in case i do get an opportunity. Yes, i think u guess it, many offer distance learning for PGcert and some in PGDip. But would it be worth it? that would be the question, and many would say go for another MSc. But hey it cost too much and also some would say you are too old for graduate opportunity? though ageism are hidden in some areas- like apprenticeships limited to those within a certain age ( i know cause i ask the reason why i was rejected before i turn 22 and the agency told me that company prefer full government funding).

If any of you say volunteer to get those experience then it would not be possible as many of the company that i applied would say " sry but that is what apprenticeships are for". Funny enough when people wanting to over shadowing their work, they see fear that they will made redundant because of it.

well anyhow that is my experiences during my life. Back to the topic, is PGcert worth the study to get into civil/structural job?
Reply 8
Well i graduate with a BEng in Mechanical Engineering (hons) and a MSc in advance Materials Engineering.

Back to the topic, is PGcert worth the study to get into civil/structural job?

You probably need to ask https://www.ice.org.uk/careers-and-professional-development/further-and-higher-education#university
It sounds pretty worthless for you IMO. If you're having serious trouble getting your foot in the door with your MSc then I doubt a PGdip will help.
Well i graduate with a BEng in Mechanical Engineering (hons) and a MSc in advance Materials Engineering. Both area are which i considered to be specialized in area like structural integrity, and of course in oil and gas sector. Problems is where i live where opportunity aren't offered as well as the graduate scheme, and relocation isn't an option ( even though there are opportunity out there but i noticed that they prefer local graduates as they are guaranteed to be available immediately. ). Several years working for a temporary role in an non related graduate jobs as to keep myself in the market, i feel that i need to curve my career into building service or the are of construction. But hey that is life and not many will change. The market in my region based in civil and structural engineering but what are the chances to get into it?

I was looking at one of the offering considered PGcert and the reason was in case i do get an opportunity. Yes, i think u guess it, many offer distance learning for PGcert and some in PGDip. But would it be worth it? that would be the question, and many would say go for another MSc. But hey it cost too much and also some would say you are too old for graduate opportunity? though ageism are hidden in some areas- like apprenticeships limited to those within a certain age ( i know cause i ask the reason why i was rejected before i turn 22 and the agency told me that company prefer full government funding).

If any of you say volunteer to get those experience then it would not be possible as many of the company that i applied would say " sry but that is what apprenticeships are for". Funny enough when people wanting to over shadowing their work, they see fear that they will made redundant because of it.

well anyhow that is my experiences during my life. Back to the topic, is PGcert worth the study to get into civil/structural job?

Neither mechanical nor materials are specific to oil & gas.

If you want to get into construction with a mechanical degree, you could look into HVAC/building services.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending