Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

don't fit in with my family/people

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I don't fit in with my family. My brother was talking about how hopefully my sister would find an actuary or "something crazy like that" to go out with...in front of me, a university drop out with a dead-end job. It just :dolphin::dolphin::dolphin::dolphin:ed me off but I didn't say anything.

They're all doctors and dentists. I did better than all of them at school, but I have autism and mental health problems and dropped out of uni.

It was a maths degree I was doing, but my brother is so into money that he knows more than me about investment so is hoping to retire a bit younger off investment. He's a dentist.

A social worker is moving me out soon and I don't know if I should just cut ties. An argument against this, which I'll admit I'm uncomfortable bringing up even on a forum, is that I'd lose my share of the inheritance when my parents (doctors) pass away.

This is something that only you can decide, to be honest; there's not much point in trying to get an answer to something like this on a forum.

If it was me personally, I'd just move out straight away. I don't particularly give much of a **** about money either way.

dont owrry about money, as long as you can live, its fine Sorting your head out first is wayyyy more important. You could see if you could get some help with your issues first then see where your heart takes you. Once you're feeling better you can decide if you want to give uni another go or just do something on-line Or do a part time collage course or just go work in a shop (cause those people are needed in life, as much as society forgets that) , do whatever as long as you can make it work for you. Its sounds like your brother had a brainless moment (we've all had them) and was a little inconsiderate, have you told your family how you feel about it? When you move out, find your feel first but don't cut ties with your family, not only for the money side but i think you would regret it in years to come. Hope life sorts itself out for you soon
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.