Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

art (or any) uni ; is it worth it? please help ):

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I just had what i hoped would have been a light hearted chat with my parents but they got very defensive so i kinda backed out the room saying yup a lot and trying to act casual and not upset.

They want me to go to art uni. I want to go to art uni, but i ant to go to a art uni which i love and not go because its the next step in education, i k that art uni would provide me with a degree, and help me build up a portfolio, but im quite motivated and would go on cheaper courses and work free lance instead and think i could stil improve my work without uni.

They told me that if i don't go to uni they don't know how ill afford to work and keep arting, plus they say i wont be able to get a job in the police force (which is a kinda back up interest for me) if i don't go to art uni. they say that even if im freelance its really important i have a degree or people wont higher me, but surely at the end of the day its the quality of work?

any help?

am i nuts?

I'm assuming you are in year 12 or doing GCSEs at the moment? You could be an outsider artist (an artist that didn't go to university) and the work is most important. However having a university degree is a big step in validating your work which means that galleries and collectors will take you more seriously - especially at the start of your career. Depending on where you go, the university's name can also open a lot of doors for you.

Doing an art degree will help you find yourself as an artist, and most major artists will have done one. I'd thoroughly advise that you do an art foundation as the course only lasts one year (so not too much commitment), it will give you a chance to find out more about what it is you want to do, improve your portfolio and it will give you a better shot at getting into the university that you want to.

save 27k and spend it on paints and canvases

You're being fairly silly IMO. Art itself is one of the least reliable fields you can go into and there are plenty, PLENTY, of art graduates who's work never see the light of day. For such a competitive, and volatile field you'll want to maximise your chances as much as possible - so yes, I'm afraid in this case the prestige and rigour of the university will influence your direction. It's fair enough you think you'll be able to freelance and go to a cheaper course or have the police as your backup - but you kind of need to start thinking realistically.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.