The Student Room Group

Attending applicant visit day for an improved offer?

I went to an applicant visit day at Coventry University which resulted in everyone who attend being given a better offer by one grade.
Does anyone know if Loughborough University do this too? My course is Mechanical Engineering and my offer is AAB. Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Jesse_Phitidis
I went to an applicant visit day at Coventry University which resulted in everyone who attend being given a better offer by one grade.
Does anyone know if Loughborough University do this too? My course is Mechanical Engineering and my offer is AAB. Thanks.

No they don't.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is just a marketing technique - the idea is that once you've seen it you'll be more likely to firm them, and the lower offer will be the sweetener that makes you feel special.

All of this will have been written into some elaborate marketing plan that aims to ensure that they get enough bums on seats in September.

Don't be drawn in by it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Origami Bullets
This is just a marketing technique - the idea is that once you've seen it you'll be more likely to firm them, and the lower offer will be the sweetener that makes you feel special.

All of this will have been written into some elaborate marketing plan that aims to ensure that they get enough bums on seats in September.

Don't be drawn in by it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. I am putting Loughborough as my first choice anyway so I'm not really bothered about being marketed to, but I would like a lower offer! Do you think it is likely that I will get one if I attend this day? I went to the Coventry one and they expressly said beforehand that if we attend we get a lower offer!
Thanks for the reply. I am putting Loughborough as my first choice anyway so I'm not really bothered about being marketed to, but I would like a lower offer! Do you think it is likely that I will get one if I attend this day? I went to the Coventry one and they expressly said beforehand that if we attend we get a lower offer!

very unlikely most universities don't.
Reply 5

Nope, L'boro doesn't have to resort to marketing techniques for its engineering courses.

If they haven't said that they will, then it's highly unlikely to happen. Loughborough is usually a rather more oversubscribed university than Coventry, and doesn't have to put quite so much effort into such marketing techniques.
Original post by Origami Bullets
If they haven't said that they will, then it's highly unlikely to happen. Loughborough is usually a rather more oversubscribed university than Coventry, and doesn't have to put quite so much effort into such marketing techniques.

Yes this is what I thought. Thanks for you replies everyone.

Quick Reply