The Student Room Group

whats the best way to prepare for the UKCAT?

Scroll to see replies

jokjok11
Just that you have to pay ridiculous amounts of money ... Also IMO, i think that its unrelated to The course we're applying for.

In my school, theres a guy who wanted to apply for medicine, (not slating him or anyone...) He had end of AS exam results of literally E's and D's, Had no work ethic and dossed the whole year, but he ended up with very high UKCAT scores... Whereas the other med and dent applicants scored less than him! I suppose you can say this aptitude test, tests your common sense?

Personally, I scored well below average, and because of that, i thought i was going to get rejections.... Manchester didn't seem to mind them results and most of the dental schools didn't take them into account... (except Barts?)

Waste of money and waste of time.... Theres loads of criteria we had to fulfill to become eligible to obtain an offer from dental schools such as Work exp extra curricular etc... quoting from Leeds, its discriminative for people who do not have that kind of money to spend on an aptitude test.... So I think that UKCAT tests should be scrapped :biggrin:

you say it tests common sense and that you achieved below average...does that mean you dont have any common sense?
I also think the UKCAT is a waste of time but it has become a necessary measure in under to filter out a significant proportion of the large numbe rof applications medical schools receives. And sadly, it looks like it's here to stay.
Reply 22
Original post by Warrior King
I also think the UKCAT is a waste of time but it has become a necessary measure in under to filter out a significant proportion of the large numbe rof applications medical schools receives. And sadly, it looks like it's here to stay.

They could at least increase the time available? It's not much of an IQ test with so much guessing! That's bad!

For the people who say that you can't revise, you're probably going to get a bad score with that mindset. If you do A LOT of revision, you will see a difference.

I completed the 600 Q and I am only getting 640 timed. When it's untimed I have gotten 730. See the problem?
Original post by 73iso
They could at least increase the time available? It's not much of an IQ test with so much guessing! That's bad!

For the people who say that you can't revise, you're probably going to get a bad score with that mindset. If you do A LOT of revision, you will see a difference.

I completed the 600 Q and I am only getting 640 timed. When it's untimed I have gotten 730. See the problem?

Hi 73iso

I just saw your post and wondered how you are getting on with your UKCAT prep?

Do you have a date for your test?

The best bit of advice I can offer is practise, practise, practise! Ideally set aside a few hours a day in the weeks leading up to your test, to really ensure that you go into it feeling as confident and as well prepared as possible.

I'm sure that if you continue to put in the time and practise as mush as you can, you'll improve on your timed score and do great on the day!

Do give me a shout if you have any questions I can help with!

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest