Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sikhs: Would you marry a Muslim?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Sorry Anonymous, but being a Muslim, an practising Muslim, I find it a problem to marry a Sikh. My parents would even approve so?
    I respect your view. But why though?

I bumped into her today but was too nervous to say anything.

(Original post by Jasveer99)
    we can not subscribe our child to any one religion. We can show our children through our prayers, by sharing our way of praying with them, and by sharing our traditions with them - our way of life. And eventually they might make a choice to follow one or the other, or they may not. The most important thing is that we instil values in our children and a love of God. And when the time is right, they will choose to be a practicer of the faith that makes them happy. I couldn't be ashamed of my child if they turned to Islam, as this is the religion of my husband (prospectively) whom I love - and Islam makes him a good man, therefore, if my child chooses this path they have the capability of being a beautiful human. And equally, He wouldn't be ashamed if our child chose Sikhism, as this is the religion which instilled the values that his (prospective) wife has, who he loves for her characteristics. And therefore, if our child chose this path, they would lead a good life. This would be our hopes from the discussions we have. What actually happens - only time will tell.

I respect that
    And being brought up in both is a food idea.
    Although they are more likely to be brought up in more than one or the other if you lose your family etc they are likley to lose the wider influence of indian/ punjabi cilture and sikhi.
    But like you said time will tell.
    I wish you all the best x and may God look after you , and keep you in his best wishesxx

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.