The Student Room Group

Do you think that it is wrong to moan/self pity?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by KaylaB
“I think that if I ever have kids, and they are upset, I won't tell them that people are starving in China or anything like that because it wouldn't change the fact that they were upset. And even if somebody else has it much worse, that doesn't really change the fact that you have what you have.”

Being upset doesn't necessarily mean that one has self pity.
Reply 21
This quote by Eckhart Tolle is one of my favourites...
"When you complain, you make yourself into a victim. When you speak out, you are in your power. So change the situation by taking action or by speaking out if necessary or possible; leave the situation or accept it. All else is madness."
So every time I catch myself moaning I try remember this, self-pity just doesn't change anything.
No. Its normal and natural to wallow in self-pity every now and then. If I was homeless, I probably have a "woe is me" attitude too. You can't really blame the homeless. In fact, you don't even have to be homeless to throw a pity party. People got things going on their lives where they want to pity themselves sometimes.

Its like having a good cry every now and then for the crap you experienced and just want a little relief. Everyone indulges in self pity at least once in their lives whether they want to admit it. Self pity is examining the situation you're in and allowing yourself to feel pity. Its okay to feel pitiful. Pity isn't necessarily a bad thing. Does it change things? No. Does crying, or feeling sad change things? No. But people can't resistance feeling an emotion because its just part of us to feel it.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending