The Student Room Group

0 work experience and im 23

Just finishing second year of my uni and so far havent been able to get anything.. not even a comittee position. i want to break into something like actuarial work but i have nothing but my degree

I keep on applying and keep getting rejeected, sometimes ive made it to interviews.

is this the end? :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by WannabeBeAST
Just finishing second year of my uni and so far havent been able to get anything.. not even a comittee position. i want to break into something like actuarial work but i have nothing but my degree

I keep on applying and keep getting restricted, sometimes ive made it to interviews.

is this the end? :frown:

Maybe start and volunteer over the summer holidays ?
Original post by _icecream
Maybe start and volunteer over the summer holidays ?

I've offered volunteered for a lot of stuff but they just get filled up and other people are picked. I even got rejected from just being a steward at the uni open days because there were so many people and they had to pick names from a hat:frown:
Same age as you and near enough in the exact same position except i graduated almost a year ago. Rejection after rejection with every job i apply for the last 2 interviews i went to were for graduate internships and they said i didn't need experience yet i check my email a few days later and get the typical "sorry we will be progressing your application and chose other candidates with more skills/experience".There just seems to be always be another applicant better than me for every job i go for.
Heh my m8s an Actuary. Probably the hardest professional exams. Where are you applying to? If you are getting to interviews then its not your work experience it is your interview technique.
Do some voluntary work and be creative by figuring the angle as to how you will sell it. Anything to do with numbers and finance.
Are you looking for graduate jobs or part-time work? Can't really tell because youre in 2nd year.

For graduate jobs it might be wise to do some work-experience placements.
Get yourself into a week's work experience somewhere. Be proactive about it. Call offices, get admin/PR/PA emails and just get in touch with places. Places like it when you work for free. Even a week or two work experience helps fill up the CV.

For example, during my time at Uni I did work experience in Newspapers and classrooms, literally by just emailing around companies to see what was going on. My last work placement offered me a job (then fired me 4 months later :frown:)

For part-time work, you can volunteer at charity shops with no demand. Or start from the bottom. Fast food chains/ supermarkets / newsagents ect, are always happy to train someone up on min wage.

No work experience is useless trust me. I started out at Maccies many years ago with no experience, stayed there for enough time to learn the ropes of working and have moved on to have many jobs. I still recite back to my maccies day in job interviews now. (I just accepted a job in a school - and it was still relative at my interview!)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending