The Student Room Group

UCL gave me an offer of AAA even though I am predicted AAB

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zXcodeXz
They are tough A Levels but you can do it otherwise why would you be predicted AAB then? It's because you can do it

Lol I guess so.. I'll definitely try :smile:

Original post by Rhythmical
I think coursework is boring, plus it's being scrapped for GCSEs but I do agree that it should be kept with a subject but maybe separately. Thing is, coursework never shows a true ability and neither do exams,. Apart from UCL, what were your 4 other choices?

I like coursework for english, because exams are horrible for the subject lol. My choices were Kings college, Cardiff, Bath and Aston.

Original post by Balor
Put it as your firm, choose a less aspirational offer as your insurance, and then switch your focus to doing your absolute best in the upcoming exams. Every moment spent worrying about not meeting the offer is a moment you could have spent steadily taking steps towards meeting it....

Do what you can and if you don't meet the offer you don't meet the offer - at least you'd have tried.

Yeah I think I'll put UCL and aim for AAA .. and if I fall then Ill fall back onto AAB (I hope) so I have Bath. Very true.. should crack on with my studies!
Maybe UCL feel they will not fill all their spaces with AAA, so they will consider some with AAB
Original post by Nameless Ghoul
Law at Churchill.

I asked in regard to Cam courses, but also v nice to know... *.*
Reply 43
Original post by aladdin818

I like coursework for english, because exams are horrible for the subject lol. My choices were Kings college, Cardiff, Bath and Aston.

Yeah I think I'll put UCL and aim for AAA .. and if I fall then Ill fall back onto AAB (I hope) so I have Bath. Very true.. should crack on with my studies!

Good luck :smile:
Reply 44
Original post by Balor
Interesting. I rather like that; it strikes me that it allows for people with different dominant strengths to be admitted.

It makes for a very accessible and transparent policy: everybody is given the same offer.
Reply 45
Original post by FatimaHere

Churchill is a Cambridge college....
Original post by Zacken
Science and Maths subjects can have A*A*A*A offers sometimes. Then again, star grades aren't really an issue for a Cambridge applicant.

Whoa.. Ah good point
Reply 47

Churchill is a Cambridge college.

Edit: oops @Balor got there first!

I do English Lit too, my worst book that I have read so far is The Merchant's Tale which is technically a poem/fabliau as the language is not only hard, but translating it without looking it up is difficult. And we don't get much coursework for English this year due to the reforms now. It's all changing.

I am not sure what you want from me?

That's great go for it and I hope you get what you want
I am not sure what you want from me?

Aha, erm I didn't ask you specifically? So nothing? aha (sorry idk what else to say)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Rhythmical
I do English Lit too, my worst book that I have read so far is The Merchant's Tale which is technically a poem/fabliau as the language is not only hard, but translating it without looking it up is difficult. And we don't get much coursework for English this year due to the reforms now. It's all changing.

Oh God I know what you mean. We're doing Wife of bath right now and the language is something else.. loool.
Which exam board do you do ? and which play are you studying?
Reply 53
Original post by jneill
Churchill is a Cambridge college.

Edit: oops @Balor got there first!

Not the most aesthetically pleasing college, but a college all the same :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
It makes for a very accessible and transparent policy: everybody is given the same offer.
I agree. It makes sense given that they don't interview so have to process applications with less contextual information. I would be interested to see the statistics regarding admitting people who technically miss the standard offer. For example, somebody who achieves A* A* B but perhaps secures S S in step. You don't happen to be aware of any FOI requests to this effect?
Original post by zXcodeXz
That's great go for it and I hope you get what you want

Original post by Balor
Good luck :smile:

Thank you for your help! :smile:
Aha, erm I didn't ask you specifically? So nothing? aha

My bad. The bit where you quoted me, and asked me a question directly, confused me.
Oh God I know what you mean. We're doing Wife of bath right now and the language is something else.. loool.
Which exam board do you do ? and which play are you studying?

I'm with OCR and I've heard The Wife of Bath is more interesting than The Merchant's Tale. And we're studying the The Tempest for our play. I'm also studying The History Boys and The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories (Angela Carter is a radical feminist) but with the Tempest, our teacher showed us the film and never told us to read the book. The film is not accurate to the play! :colonhash:
Hey there, the same thing happened with my application to Birmingham. My target grade set by the school is a C, my teachers have given me predicated grades of AAB and Birmingham gave me an offer of AAA. From what I can gather, a universities entry requirements for a course tend to correlate to the demand for that course. So by setting the entry grades higher, they reduce the number of applicants.
That being said, they still want to fill the course with students to maximize profits, so if they had 80% of their offers achieve the required grades(AAA), they may still look to fill the other 20% with students that didn't achieve AAA so they can reach maximum capacity for the course. Obviously these percentages vary with each year.
I think this may be a reason they give offers to students with lower target grades, but maybe not.
Reply 58
Original post by Balor

I agree. It makes sense given that they don't interview so have to process applications with less contextual information. I would be interested to see the statistics regarding admitting people who technically miss the standard offer. For example, somebody who achieves A* A* B but perhaps secures S S in step. You don't happen to be aware of any FOI requests to this effect?

I could dig one or two up, the standard agreement as of late is that it seems Warwick prefer A*/A's in the three physics A-Level than STEP grades for some reason. That could be because they prefer people who firm them and don't sit STEP versus Cambridge rejects but we can't really be sure.

What I like is that Warwick's attitude is that they give offers to everybody and then let the tough offer filter the candidature. Obviously a good proportion of them are those who end up at Cambridge, Oxford or Imperial hence allowing them to give (virtually) everybody offers.
My bad. The bit where you quoted me, and asked me a question directly, confused me.

Ahh t'is k x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending