The Student Room Group

Considering Computer Science

I am thinking abiut studying cimputer science because I like computers (maybe coz im a pc gamer lol). But yeah i am thinkinf about applying, but what makes a good applicant, and how can i experience coding/programming before uni?

Even though many unis i have researched say that no experience is needed I see some of the applicants here who know lots of languages and have developed things. Makes me feel like such a noob :colondollar:

Is there anything I can do to get started? Maybe I can start something now like a video game mod and then have jt finished by the end of summer but i really dont know how to go about it. Also any good videos I can watch?

Also my as levels are Maths chemistry history ans biology
Original post by SuperHuman98
I am thinking abiut studying cimputer science because I like computers (maybe coz im a pc gamer lol). But yeah i am thinkinf about applying, but what makes a good applicant, and how can i experience coding/programming before uni?

Even though many unis i have researched say that no experience is needed I see some of the applicants here who know lots of languages and have developed things. Makes me feel like such a noob :colondollar:

Is there anything I can do to get started? Maybe I can start something now like a video game mod and then have jt finished by the end of summer but i really dont know how to go about it. Also any good videos I can watch?

Also my as levels are Maths chemistry history ans biology

Computer Science =/= learning about computers. You'll be learning about applied mathematics, logic, computational theory, theory behind programming languages etc. Basically, it's a highly theoretical degree that happens to have some practical programming elements. Just so we're clear.

If you want to dabble with coding, I'd suggest Codecademy's website.

Your A-levels are pretty solid (having Maths especially is quite important) for most CS courses. Although, if you're looking at Oxbridge/Imperial, Further Maths would be favourable too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Princepieman
Computer Science =/= learning about computers. You'll be learning about applied mathemtics, logic, computational theory, theory behind programming languages etc. Basically, it's a highly theoretical degree that happens to have some practical programming elements. Just so we're clear.

If you want to dabble with coding, I'd suggest Codecademy's website.

Your A-levels are pretty solid (having Maths especially is quite important) for most CS courses. Although, if you're looking at Oxbridge/Imperial, Further Maths would be favourable too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yes! Would definitely recommend it for learning the basics.
Hi there I'm currently a final year student doing my dissertation on women in the computing industry and whether changing the curriculum from ICT to Computing would encourage more females into the industry and I would really appreciate it if you could take a couple of minutes to complete this questionnaire for me! Thank you in advance :smile:I'll be happy to one in return :smile:) https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1o56EdN-tu39HqJhAWOf_dTmyTIV4uyqYPDt8WTmPEqg/viewform?c=0&w=1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending