Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

I've been rejected student finance and I don't know what to do.

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    Basically they are saying "I'm not eligible for fee support, maintenance loan, maintenance grant or special support grant while studying on my new course" As you can imagine, when I opened the letter I was devastated.

    2014 - 2015 I did what was suppose to be a HND in games development. I found the course terrible because the teaching standard was not there. I wanted to drop out however all advice I requested pointed at me to stay and finish the first year, giving me a HNC. This was funded by student finance at £4000. However while trying to collect my certificates, the exam board are saying I don't have all of my units and therefore I haven't passed. My ex tutor is saying I have but wont do anything about it. So I'm really confused.

    2015 - 2016 (this current academic year) I've done a foundation art course and funded it myself. I've always wanted to do art but was forced down a scientific path until I didn't make the cut with my bad A-level results and was finally getting the chance to do so. I got in at Leeds college of art to do a BA in animation and was over the moon.

    I asked my tutor about student fiance and they said they should provide it, so I sent off the form with high hopes and then today I found out that they wont give me anything. I was absolutely destroyed. I can't afford £9000 plus the cost of living in Leeds. On top of all this my depression is getting worse and my anxiety is making me nervous I can't bring myself to ring them until I've gathered some advice.

    I don't know what to do. I know I need to ring up student fiance but I don't know how to go about it. I can't just shout "give me the money" down the phone. I'm so stuck and in tears any help would be greatly appreciated.

    You really do need to speak to student finance on the phone - they are really helpful - ask them why they think you aren't eligible from the information that you have already provided them with - as you have only had one previous years student finance for your HNC - I wouldn't have thought that was a problem - ask them to walk through your application with you - once you have got it sorted you could apply for Disabled students allowance (student finance should also be able to help you with this)- if you are suffering from anxiety / depression or OCD you may be eligible for support in the form of claiming back the price difference between an ordinary room and en-suite in university accommodation - a letter from your doctor would be needed -just make sure you get the name of the person you speak to - good luck! and don't worry about speaking to them on the phone - it's like worrying when you are going into an interview - if you stuff it up you aren't going to see them / speak to them again - just ring again and you're pretty much guaranteed to get someone else on the phone as it's such a big call centre.

    Also be sure to get the college you did the hnc with the chase up your certificate.

    I dropped out of a course and started a new degree after finishing (most of) my first year and am being fully funded by student finance, I see no reason why you shouldn't be (believe me, I spent ages checking up on the regulations and EVERYONE gets an extra year's funding for these kind of circumstances). Do call them up, I've fixed a lot of mistakes on both mine and their parts by actually speaking to a human being. Explain your circumstances and make sure all the paperwork from your old course is tied up, because these things are always a bureaucratic nightmare and things get lost along the way.
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.