Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

BTEC after A Levels?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I am currently in my last year of A Levels but haven't applied for university as my predicted grades are CCC (the same grades I achieved in my AS exams) and I have little work experience. I was originally going to take a gap year in order to gain more work experience and possibly pursue a nursing / occupational therapy degree.

However, after doing more work experience and researching numerous degrees, I am now thinking that I would like to apply for a business management degree. But the entry requirements for these degrees are higher than what I am going to achieve in the Summer. I have always achieved substantially better grades in coursework than exams and was wondering whether it'd be worth doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business for 2 years after I finish college?

I never really considered BTEC as a option when I finished GCSE's but I have friends who are studying this qualification and receiving offers from Russell group universities. Has anyone else been in this position? Would good universities look down on this as I am essentially going through college twice? Any advice would be much appreciated, Thank you!

Hey there.

Although I didn't do it personally -- I dropped out of A levels half way through my AS year, then started a BTEC Extended Diploma in Animal Management the next September -- a lot of people in my form class have done A levels for 1 or 2 years and then chose to do a BTEC Extended Diploma! Universities would not look down on you, although some top-level unis may consider the fact that even though you got, e.g. DDD in your BTEC, you got CCC in your A levels which may make them think you're not suited to the course. However, most would not look down on you; either way, you'd have a chance of going to a much better uni if you got good grades at BTEC than if you stuck with your less-than-good A level grades.

Also remember that the Russell Group isn't necessarily a solid indicator of quality, and there are many good universities outside of it, such as the University of Lancaster. I would also check whether the unis you're interested in going to accept the BTEC, as even though it is equivalent to A levels, some universities have this idea that they are not worth as much.

what about foundation years?
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

Blinkered horse

Take off your BTEC blinkers

Find out the truth behind the BTEC myths.

Polling station sign

BTEC essentials

What you really need to know about studying BTEC.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.