The Student Room Group

BTEC after A Levels?

Hello!

I am currently in my last year of A Levels but haven't applied for university as my predicted grades are CCC (the same grades I achieved in my AS exams) and I have little work experience. I was originally going to take a gap year in order to gain more work experience and possibly pursue a nursing / occupational therapy degree.

However, after doing more work experience and researching numerous degrees, I am now thinking that I would like to apply for a business management degree. But the entry requirements for these degrees are higher than what I am going to achieve in the Summer. I have always achieved substantially better grades in coursework than exams and was wondering whether it'd be worth doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business for 2 years after I finish college?

I never really considered BTEC as a option when I finished GCSE's but I have friends who are studying this qualification and receiving offers from Russell group universities. Has anyone else been in this position? Would good universities look down on this as I am essentially going through college twice? Any advice would be much appreciated, Thank you!
Original post by IcedCupcakes
Hello!

I am currently in my last year of A Levels but haven't applied for university as my predicted grades are CCC (the same grades I achieved in my AS exams) and I have little work experience. I was originally going to take a gap year in order to gain more work experience and possibly pursue a nursing / occupational therapy degree.

However, after doing more work experience and researching numerous degrees, I am now thinking that I would like to apply for a business management degree. But the entry requirements for these degrees are higher than what I am going to achieve in the Summer. I have always achieved substantially better grades in coursework than exams and was wondering whether it'd be worth doing a BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business for 2 years after I finish college?

I never really considered BTEC as a option when I finished GCSE's but I have friends who are studying this qualification and receiving offers from Russell group universities. Has anyone else been in this position? Would good universities look down on this as I am essentially going through college twice? Any advice would be much appreciated, Thank you!

It depends on the university but there's a possibility that foundation years could be a better option for you as universities could see two level 3 qualifications as a negative thing.

Quick Reply

Latest