The Student Room Group

Gaming pc

Scroll to see replies

Original post by york_wbu
[video="youtube;dYHVUrXOwbI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYHVUrXOwbI[/video]

Hahaha epic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by martinnmartin
What's wrong with the price and windows 10?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Windows 10 isn't exactly being welcomed with open arms, and Windows 7 or 8.1 is just fine right now. Windows 10, if nothing else, is new so will have teething problems.

The price is over double what I spent is all.
Original post by ozzyoscy
Windows 10 isn't exactly being welcomed with open arms, and Windows 7 or 8.1 is just fine right now. Windows 10, if nothing else, is new so will have teething problems.

The price is over double what I spent is all.

Well it's better to have a newer operating system...
So what if it's double that what you spent... I have a higher budget than you and my PC will be better so what? The world doesn't revolve around your build.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
With the way games are going, ignore all people who state an i5 is enough. As an owner of an i5, I understand the limitations of a quad-core system in the more demanding games. You'll be fine with the 4790k, but I'd always recommend going for current generation hardware than last for obvious reasons. Building last gen at this point in time is also a very bad idea due to the fact it's using DDR3. While it might not necessarily be the case, but upgrading in the future will mean having to build a new PC rather than smaller upgrades. If you want to get a new CPU, you'll also have the change the RAM which should really need to happen.

Buy a smaller SSD (250GB should do) and get a sizeable HDD. It's not a laptop, a 7200RPM hard drive will store anything excess just fine and speed isn't necessary for a lot of things, just your OS and core programs.

I'd personally recommend an Nvidia card as you should be able to overclock it more due to its cooler operation and less power draw.

Buy 8GB (2x4) for your RAM as you're not going to need more than that right now, in a year or two, you can upgrade.

That PSU will not work :smile: When building a PC, you should assume you'll want to do some expansion, so your motherboard should be able to support multiple GPUs, large amounts of RAM and your case also needs expansion capabilities. Don't go for anything less than a 750w.
It wouldn't be my first choice but is certainly a good build. You might want to change the power supply to at least 650W due to the strength of your CPU and graphics card and I would recommend Gold efficiency or higher. Corsair makes good power supplies so bronze should still be fine if the price is too high.
For those of you advising for a better power supply and a HDD I have made updates to my build

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/xMCgYJ

Posted from TSR Mobile
For those of you advising for a better power supply and a HDD I have made updates to my build

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's better, 750W should certainly be enough :smile:

Are you going to piece it all together yourself? I did that last year and it was a lot of fun (although frustrating at times) but motherboards are very delicate so it's quite risky.
Yeah I pretty much know how to build a PC and have taken apart my current PC to test myself
Im now wondering if I should go with an i7 6700k processor instead of the 4790k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go with a skylake system instead.
6600K - £200
Asus Z170-A - £122
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - £59
Total = £379.58

Whereas in your build, it comes to £436. For a similarly performing, newer system, its definitely worth going with skylake. If you through the savings towards getting a better gpu, you'll see a much better performance gains.

And as I said before, the CX lineup of corsair power supplies isn't really suited to £1000+ builds. Go with a EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 for only £10 more.

Other than that, your build looks pretty good.
Go with a skylake system instead.
6600K - £200
Asus Z170-A - £122
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 - £59
Total = £379.58

Whereas in your build, it comes to £436. For a similarly performing, newer system, its definitely worth going with skylake. If you through the savings towards getting a better gpu, you'll see a much better performance gains.

And as I said before, the CX lineup of corsair power supplies isn't really suited to £1000+ builds. Go with a EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650 for only £10 more.

Other than that, your build looks pretty good.

EVGA SuperNova's are junk. They are constantly being put on product recalls, year on year. Corsair on the other hand have had 1 recall in a decade and a half.

A 6600K will result in a loss in performance over the 4790k, and DDR4 offers next to nothing in performance increase.

The motherboard you suggested also has well known problems with the Ethernet controller.

Not seeing any advantages.
Reply 50
Original post by iainvg

EVGA SuperNova's are junk. They are constantly being put on product recalls, year on year. Corsair on the other hand have had 1 recall in a decade and a half.

Yet most people regard them as some of the best, reasonably priced PSUs on the market. The quality difference between the CX series and the supernova g2 series is huge. Are you saying that it's not worth the extra £10?

Original post by iainvg
A 6600K will result in a loss in performance over the 4790k, and DDR4 offers next to nothing in performance increase.

Most gaming benchmarks show very similar scores for the 6600k and 4790k. The 4790k might get a extremely small performance boost in some games but it's not worth an extra £56. Best to go with a newer, skylake system system. Put the money towards a better gpu if you want more performance.
Yet most people regard them as some of the best, reasonably priced PSUs on the market. The quality difference between the CX series and the supernova g2 series is huge. Are you saying that it's not worth the extra £10?

Most gaming benchmarks show very similar scores for the 6600k and 4790k. The 4790k might get a extremely small performance boost in some games but it's not worth an extra £56. Best to go with a newer, skylake system system. Put the money towards a better gpu if you want more performance.

If I'm going to get skylake id go with the 6700k not the 6600k

Not convinced on the EVGA yet and corsair have served me well for 4/5 years

Any advice on over clocking? I want maybe 4.4/4.5/4.6ghz, is the hyper 212 evo good enough for this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 52

Not convinced on the EVGA yet and corsair have served me well for 4/5 years

When buying a psu, you've got to realise that pretty much every company that makes high-end PSUs, also makes mid-tier PSUs and shite-tier PSUs. Corsair's CX lineup belongs in the shite-tier PSU category. Have a look at what other brand offer and what other lineups corsair have.

Any advice on over clocking? I want maybe 4.4/4.5/4.6ghz, is the hyper 212 evo good enough for this?

Yeah, with a 6700k or a 4790k, you should get vaguely in that area using a hyper 212 evo. Obviously nothing is guaranteed when overclocking. A hyper 212 evo would definitely be my recommendation. I wouldn't spend too much money on cpu coolers - you won't get that much of a performance increase from a slightly higher clocked cpu.
Well it's better to have a newer operating system...
So what if it's double that what you spent... I have a higher budget than you and my PC will be better so what? The world doesn't revolve around your build.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My PC is as good as yours, and if I wanted to spend double for no reason, it would definitely be better than yours. But it's not a competition or some way of seeing who's a better person. Don't be weird.

Why is it better to have a newer OS? Because it's new? That's a naive view of technology products

Don't get why you're suddenly being all angry and weird. You asked for feedback.
That PC will play games on ultra easily, ignore people saying about "DDR4"... the SSD will pay off massively, I would recommend almost everything you're using on this build, bar the PSU you should try and go for a little more juicy one for stability, I usualy aim for 700-800watt.

and lastly, have you got a case to put these parts in?
Original post by ozzyoscy
My PC is as good as yours, and if I wanted to spend double for no reason, it would definitely be better than yours. But it's not a competition or some way of seeing who's a better person. Don't be weird.

Why is it better to have a newer OS? Because it's new? That's a naive view of technology products

Don't get why you're suddenly being all angry and weird. You asked for feedback.

Lmao sure, post your parts or you're lying.

It's obviously better to have a newer operating system because it will be updated for longer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Poor power supply choice!
The corsair CX & CS series power supplies, are not ideal for overclocking, especially ur 500w choice. You should opt for a higher tier power supply that will be more reliable and also be a much better investment for the future.
I would go with something like this. The XFX XTR series are fantastic units with excellent quality parts. Its also fully modular so you can have great cable management and is 80+ Gold certified! I believe its a Seasonic re-brand like most XFX units, which is amazing as Seasonic are one of the best when it comes to power supplies.
Other good units include: Antec High Current Pro, XFX XXX/XTR etc.
PM if you need more info :biggrin:
just say the case doh! forgot to add if you're not going to overclock dont bother with the 4970(K) and just go for a 4970
Original post by mooseh1988
just say the case doh! forgot to add if you're not going to overclock dont bother with the 4970(K) and just go for a 4970

4790k is faster though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FusionNetworks
Poor power supply choice!
The corsair CX & CS series power supplies, are not ideal for overclocking, especially ur 500w choice. You should opt for a higher tier power supply that will be more reliable and also be a much better investment for the future.
I would go with something like this. The XFX XTR series are fantastic units with excellent quality parts. Its also fully modular so you can have great cable management and is 80+ Gold certified! I believe its a Seasonic re-brand like most XFX units, which is amazing as Seasonic are one of the best when it comes to power supplies.
Other good units include: Antec High Current Pro, XFX XXX/XTR etc.
PM if you need more info :biggrin:

I updated my build and I'm thinking of the corsair 750w semi modular

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest