The Student Room Group

What to do?!

I am currently taking my GCSEs and have got to make a decision of what to take next year for my A-levels, i was wondering if taking two different maths is a good idea, i have asked people that are currently taking two and some say do it and some say don't. is there anyone that could advise me on what to take, thank you.
Original post by harrymayo
I am currently taking my GCSEs and have got to make a decision of what to take next year for my A-levels, i was wondering if taking two different maths is a good idea, i have asked people that are currently taking two and some say do it and some say don't. is there anyone that could advise me on what to take, thank you.

If you mean maths and further maths then that's a pretty standard combination and will be fine, as long as you are good at maths.

well... some schools don't let first year students take further maths (like mine) so people like me have to wait for the second year to take an AS (half the course), meaning no A2 (full course) for me :/ just means ive got to work harder on the AS FM and the A2 maths :smile:

but yeh to answer ur question, it depends on 1. what grade you think ur going to get at maths and 2. do you enjoy maths. obviously the better the grade the more recommended it is, they say minimum B but i would say try to get an A or very close to an A as many of the people in my class who got a B are struggling, but some who got a B are doing better than me and i got an A*! Also the maths course splits into statistics which some find easy some hard, mechanics which you may do in the first year instead of statistics which is VERY hard but if you do physics aswell the same stuff is covered so you do more examples and trust me, the more examples and questions you do the better it is. the main maths stuff though is the core maths books, C1 C2 C3 and C4. since im finishing the first year i've only done C1 and almost all of C2 but if you get an A or higher in GCSE C1 is literally 90% GCSE stuff, well 75% to be exact (there's 8 topics, 6 are GCSE) C2 tests ur intelligence quite a bit...

basically, sorry if any of that scared you or disheartened you, but basically as long as you get at least close to an A and you like maths a lot i highly recommend maths, if your school teaches further maths to the first year then this won't be much help. i was so hyped about taking maths and FM first year and when i found out i couldnt i was so let down XD.
i mean clearly since it's an option it's not impossible so as long as you enjoy maths then i totally agree that you should
Reply 3
Original post by Toasticide
well... some schools don't let first year students take further maths (like mine) so people like me have to wait for the second year to take an AS (half the course), meaning no A2 (full course) for me :/ just means ive got to work harder on the AS FM and the A2 maths :smile:

but yeh to answer ur question, it depends on 1. what grade you think ur going to get at maths and 2. do you enjoy maths. obviously the better the grade the more recommended it is, they say minimum B but i would say try to get an A or very close to an A as many of the people in my class who got a B are struggling, but some who got a B are doing better than me and i got an A*! Also the maths course splits into statistics which some find easy some hard, mechanics which you may do in the first year instead of statistics which is VERY hard but if you do physics aswell the same stuff is covered so you do more examples and trust me, the more examples and questions you do the better it is. the main maths stuff though is the core maths books, C1 C2 C3 and C4. since im finishing the first year i've only done C1 and almost all of C2 but if you get an A or higher in GCSE C1 is literally 90% GCSE stuff, well 75% to be exact (there's 8 topics, 6 are GCSE) C2 tests ur intelligence quite a bit...

basically, sorry if any of that scared you or disheartened you, but basically as long as you get at least close to an A and you like maths a lot i highly recommend maths, if your school teaches further maths to the first year then this won't be much help. i was so hyped about taking maths and FM first year and when i found out i couldnt i was so let down XD.
i mean clearly since it's an option it's not impossible so as long as you enjoy maths then i totally agree that you should

Thank you, i think i would be doing both stats and mechanics, as I have chosen stats already, but also Government and politics, however compared to maths my English skills aren't as good.
Reply 4
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If you mean maths and further maths then that's a pretty standard combination and will be fine, as long as you are good at maths.

I meant more stats and mechanics?
I meant more stats and mechanics?

Probably a bit narrow, but post in the maths uni courses forum and see what they say.

Quick Reply

Latest