Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

GCSE Maths Resit Nerves

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I left school two years ago and Maths was the only subject I failed in (I have 10 GCSEs including the current D in Maths). I didn't stay on at the same school, I chose to go to my local college instead. I have functional skills Maths at Level 2 which is the same level as a GCSE however my current college told me that I would have to retake my GCSE again this year.

Although my work in Maths has improved constantly, I'm really struggling psychologically to get myself into the positive mind-set for the exam. I've suffered from Anxiety since the age of 14 and the support at the College hasn't been brilliant. They have not looked after myself and my needs well during the exam season and failed to administer my concessions correctly resulting in me failing an exam by one mark (my Level 2 Maths exam in functional skills last year). I have been bullied at College on and off for the last six months, suffered very badly healthwise and been through a very difficult break-up after my ex-boyfriend cheated on me and dumped me because I read books. 2016 has been difficult.

I still don't know for sure what my plans are for September. I'm turning 18 this year and am considering a wide range of options since I don't want to stay on my current course since its not for me. However, it has really dawned on me that my third attempt may be my last chance to get this GCSE. Everytime I've sat a GCSE Maths exam, something bad always happens. My concessions aren't administered properly or I suffer from panic attacks which for me can strike at anytime. I'm also in a very unmotivated Maths group for class that eat food loudly, play music outloud on their mobile phones, have arguments with each other etc.

I don't really know where else to turn so I've chosen here. I've been off this site for a year since I had a couple of users say some very nasty things to me that I don't want to dwell on. I have been going to revision sessions and doing all of the homework set but the minute my Anxiety flairs up, I forget everything and fail.

I'm sorry for the really long post but time is running out and I have no idea what to do. Someone help!

what i would suggest you to do a past paper in exams conditions and if possible try to do in a hall where you are more likely to do your real one - talk to your teachers about the issue and i hope they will understand your anxiety
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.