Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Sociology key terms help

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

HI guys, there's some terms that come up on the AQA sociology glossary that I don't understand because they haven't taught it in my school which I am scared because any of these terms could up on the exam. Can someone please help me explain what they mean with examples as well. Thank you

For the topic Mass media:
    substitute hearth
    content analysis
    mass popular culture

For the topic Crime and Deviance:
    Chivalry thesis
    indictable offence
    Social construct

For the topic Studying Society:

For the topic education:

For the topic families:
    Cereal packet family
    Empty shell marriage
    Neo-conventional families

I'll help with the few I remember from OCR A Level.

Popular Culture: It's the arts and other manifestations of cultural products such as music, dance, art, film, literature. Usually consumed by the working, lower, and middle class.

Chivalry Thesis: This is a common belief that the male-dominated police force and courts, are easier on women due to them not being considered a threat. Whereas a man may be arrested, police may let women off with a warning.

Social Construct: Something that is created by society.

Triangulation: The process where you validate data through the use of two or more research methods in a single piece of research to check the reliability and validity of research evidence.

Cereal Packet Family: A stereotypical image of a family created by Oakley, it must fit the criteria that be a 1. Nuclear family living with one or two of their natural dependent children. 2. The couple is seen to be married (excludes single parent and cohabiting families) 3. The couple is heterosexual (therefore no same sex couples) 4. Father is the breadwinner and mum stays at home to look after the housework/children. She might also have a part-time job in order to bring that little extra home

Commune: A group of people living together and sharing possessions and responsibilities.

Empty Shell Marriage: Where the marriage is held only by it's in name; a couple continues to live under the same roof but as separate individuals.

Hope this helped somewhat.

Googling these terms should bring up an explanation
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 5, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.