The Student Room Group

Leave of absence and student finance

I was advised to take a leave of absence until the start of the next academic year.

I recently received a payment from student finance England, if I take a leave of absence now, what happens to my maintenance grant and loan? As some of the money would be needed for rent and bills etc?

Thanks for any help!
Original post by MLML96
I was advised to take a leave of absence until the start of the next academic year.

I recently received a payment from student finance England, if I take a leave of absence now, what happens to my maintenance grant and loan? As some of the money would be needed for rent and bills etc?

Thanks for any help!

This depends on the reasons for your leave of absence. If you're suspending for health reasons then it's possible for student finance to extend to cover some extra time after you suspend (from memory this is 60 days but it might be 30).

If you suspended for other reasons then SLC are likely to be in touch soon to reclaim the overpaid funds immediately.

Your student support team at your university should be able to say what SLC have been notified of and to help you if you need to apply for hardship funds to cover your outstanding expenses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending